Registration FAQs

Where do I get the ECE Registration Form?

Registration Forms are available in the rack outside the ECE Graduate Office. You must use this form to register for research courses or courses requiring the permission of the instructor.   IF YOU ARE A NEW STUDENT, USE THE GREEN REGISTRATION FORM INCLUDED IN YOUR NEW STUDENT PACKET.

When do I need signatures for registration?

You need the signature of your professor for research (Intro Research, ECE 692; Master's, ECE 698; Ph.D, ECE 699), Directed Reading (ECE 697), Advanced EE Projects (ECE 696), Advanced Intern Projects (ECE 693) and any course listed as requiring the consent of the instructor.

What is the deadline for registration?

We do not have an official deadline in ECE. However, if you fail to register by a specific date each semester, you will be charged a $200 late registration fee by the Bursar. We do recommend that you register early to ensure that you get the space you request and that small enrollment classes do not get cancelled.

How do I modify my registration?

Using myPurdue, you can drop and add courses yourself up to certain deadlines each semester. These deadlines are listed in the ECE Graduate Office and on the Registrar's website. If you wish to add, drop, or modify research you must fill out a white registration form and turn it into the ECE Graduate Office with your professor's signature.

What are the deadlines for dropping or adding a course?

There are several dates that apply. We keep a listing of those dates on our bulletin board. The dates can be described this way: Courses can be added the first week of classes through myPurdue. In the second through fourth week, you may add a course with the signature of the instructor and the graduate office. In the fifth through ninth week, with "extenuating circumstances," you may add a course with the consent of the instructor and the Graduate Coordinator. Dropping courses may be done in the first two weeks without signatures. Dropping courses during the third and fourth week will earn a "W" for the course and it will be posted on your transcript. Dropping a course during the fifth through ninth week requires the instructor to sign and to assign a grade of "W" or "WF." The Graduate Coordinator must also approve.

How do I register for CS classes?

Some CS courses may be registered through myPurdue.  If myPurdue does not give permission for you to register, fill out a white registration form and turn it into the ECE Graduate Office. CS requests must be approved by the CS Department. Approvals are based on the need of the student for that course. There are space limitations which affect this process.

How do I register for the Pass/No Pass option?

You must have the signature of the instructor and mark P/NP in the "Grade Opt." Box. Courses on your plan of study may not be taken as Pass/No Pass.

May I select the division of a graduate class?

Yes. Graduate students are allowed to request the division of classes they want by choosing the correct CRN for that section.

How do I audit a class?

The Registrar has a "Visitors" form for requesting to audit a class. The form requires the approval of the instructor, the Graduate Coordinator, the Registrar, and the Bursar.

What are "Exam Only" and "Degree Only" registrations?

"Exam Only" is a registration for students whose only remaining requirement is to defend their thesis. This registration reduces the fees for registration. "Degree Only" is registration for students who have completed all the requirements for their degree (except possibly depositing their thesis), but have not graduated. Both these registrations shorten the semester deadlines by one half. If a student fails to meet these deadlines, their registration is converted to research.

When should I mark "yes" in the "Candidate Box"?

In the semester you expect to graduate you mark yes in the candidate box. This informs us to register you as a candidate and to place you on the Graduate School's Candidate List. Please mark this box if there is any chance that you will graduate. It is not possible to add you to the candidates list late in the semester.

How many credits may a TA register for in a semester?

Three courses is the limit for a TA in the School of ECE.

How many credits may a RA register for in a semester?

A half-time RA may register for 12 credit hours of research and classes. The general rule is that we register RAs for the maximum number of research credits available.

How do I register for ENGL 621 to meet the department written English requirement?

Register for the course through myPurdue. 

Can I take a course that is not on my Plan of Study?

Yes. Be aware that some undergraduate courses have space limits that may not allow you to register or that may require the approval of the instructor or department.

What happens if my registration is cancelled?

You will need to register again. You might have to pay fees in advance of re-registering. You may also be required to have signatures of instructors to re-enter your registration.

How do I receive my staff classification for the tuition waiver?

The Business Office will communicate your staff classification with the Bursar.  Tuition waivers usually take one to two days to process.

When am I required to pay my invoice?

You can monitor your fees and invoices through your myPurdue account or by contacting the Bursar directly.