School of Chemical Engineering Centennial
On June 14, 2011, the School of Chemical Engineering will celebrate 100 years since it was established. Although the BSChE curriculum was approved on April 26, 1907, the Board of Trustees approved the School's founding on June 14, 1911. To celebrate this occasion, the School has declared 2011 as the Centennial Celebration Year! Multiple events and activities are planned, as described below:
Centennial Seminars – the seminars will take place throughout the calendar year 2011, with the speakers being prominent School alumni from all walks of life: industry, academia, entrepreneurial and non-traditional. Videos of past seminars are available on the School of Chemical Engineering Centennial Seminar playlist within the Purdue YouTube channel.
View the schedule of Centennial Seminars speakers and dates
- Publish Book 100 Years of Chemical Engineering at Purdue co-authored by Dr. Phil Wankat and Dr. Nicholas Peppas.
Main Event, October 7-8, 2011
Friday, October 7, 2011:1:00 Welcome address, G140
1:15 Centennial Lecture, FRNY G 140
- Industry Lecturer: Paul Oreffice, BS '49, HDR '76, OChE '93, Chairman/CEO, Dow Chemical Company, (Retired)
- Academia Lecturer: Nicholas Peppas (faculty member 1976 to 2003), OChE 2002, Fletcher Stuckey Pratt Chair in Engineering, University of Texas – Austin
- Entrepreneurship/Other Lecturer: Robert Weist, BS '62, OCHE 2005, entrepreneur
2:30 Panel Discussions
- Jeff Hemmer, BS '80, OChE 2001, DEA 2009, Senior Vice President, The Sinclair Group, Ltd.
- Michael Ramage, BS '66, MS '69, PhD '71, DEA '86, OChE '93, HDR '96, Executive Vice President, Exxon Mobil Corporation, (Retired)
- Rick Roberts, BS '76, OChE 2004, DEA 2007, Senior Vice President, Manufacturing, Chevron Phillips Chemical Company
- Ronna Robertson, BS '92, Maintenance Senior Department Manager, Roquette America Inc.
- Abbie Griffin, BS '74, OCHE 2000, Presidential Professor, University of Utah
- Duncan Mellichamp, PhD '64, OCHE 2007, Professor – emeritus, University of California
- Tony Mikos, MS '85, PhD '88, OChE 2008, J. W. Cox Professor, Rice University
- Jamey Young, PhD 2005, Assistant Professor Chemical Engineering, Vanderbilt University
- Don Dunner, BS '53, OChE 2001, DEA 2001, Lawyer/Partner, Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner LLP
- Linda Huff, BS '70, OCHE '91, DEA 2000, President, Huff & Huff Inc.
- Tim McGinley, BS '63, DEA '72, OCHE '93, HDR 2010, Principal, House Investments, Inc.
- Gerald Skidmore, BS '54, OChE 2011, Chairman, Skidmore Sales & Distributing, (Retired)
3:45 Sculpture Unveiling (Henson Atrium)
4.00 Poster Session (Graduates and Undergraduates)
6:30 Reception and dinner, Purdue Memorial Union (business attire)
- Dinner Speaker: Robert Forney, BS '47, MS '48, PhD '50, DEA '74, OCHE '93, HDR '81, Executive Vice President, E. I. Du Pont de Nemours & Co., (Retired)
Saturday, October 8, 2011:
- Pregame reception in Henson Atrium (8.00 to 11.00 am)
- Forney Hall and Discovery Park Tours (9.00 to 11.00 am)
- Football Game – Purdue vs. Minnesota (12.00 noon)
The School of Chemical Engineering