Seeking Post-doctoral researcher in Education and Workforce Development
SEEKING: Post-doctoral researcher in Education and Workforce Development
Position Type: Post-doctoral researcher with experience in engineering education, workforce development, or social science research to join CISTAR
CISTAR Description: CISTAR is a National Science Foundation Engineering Research Center (ERC) focused on developing new energy resources from shale and natural gas to reduce greenhouse gases. As a part of this ERC, the Workforce Development Pillar focuses on developing technically excellent and inclusive community of hydrocarbon systems researchers, learners, and teachers through competency-based education, best-practice mentoring, and growth in key professional skills. The Workforce Development team is responsible for a number of different initiatives to meet these goals including summer research experiences for undergraduates, teachers, and high school students; graduate student development and mentoring; and pre-college education and outreach.
CISTAR Education and Workforce Development Post-doc role: A post-doctoral researcher will collaborate with the Co-Directors for Education and Workforce development as well as the larger project team across five research sites. The focus of this work will be developing an engineering education research program to examine the development of essential learning outcomes, workforce competencies, engineering career interest, and identity development for participants in the CISTAR Education programs. Potential projects include a Delphi study of the workforce competencies needed for a changing energy landscape; the implementation of these competencies into the programs associated with the project; and the pathways and factors for supporting engineering interest and identity development among participants. This role provides an opportunity to engage with learners across the educational spectrum from P-12 to higher education as well as industry partners.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Expertise in qualitative analysis (including software tools such as NVivo)
• Strength in statistical analysis, especially using R (regression, factor analysis, etc.)
• Experience carrying out qualitative and quantitative analyses with data sets from education, psychology, sociology, anthropology, or similar research areas
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Initiative, creativity, and flexibility
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
• Strong prior experience leading publication of academic manuscripts
Anticipated Activities and Responsibilities:
• Collaborate closely with CISTAR Education and Workforce Development team members to prioritize research initiatives and plan their execution, including collecting and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data
• Lead communication of research results in a variety of engineering education publication outlets
• Engage in supportive mentoring relationships with CISTAR faculty and students
Interested? Send a CV and 1-page statement of interest and qualifications to Allison Godwin, Co-Director for Education and Workforce Development at firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.