#CISTARNewNormal Photo Contest Launches August 3!
CISTAR is hosting a photo contest in an effort to gather photos for Year Three of our center. All CISTAR faculty, staff, and students are welcome to participate. The contest will kickoff on August 3rd and run through August 31, 2020. Watch CISTAR's social media profiles to check out the entries!
Due to the global pandemic, we have lost many opportunities to take photos at our in-person events and have many team members working from home. Documentation through these photos are vital pieces of information that show the impact that our Center has had throughout the reporting year in our annual report, site visit presentations and marketing materials.
Our Solution: YOU!
Without the ability to send a professional photographer to everyone’s new workspaces, there is a need to encourage our CISTAR team to be creative and provide visual documentation for the year.
We would like to invite all CISTAR faculty, students, and staff members to participate in our 2020 #CISTARNewNormal Photo Contest!
How it works:
1. Take a photo
2. Fill out an entry form
3. Post your photo to social media using the hashtag “#CISTARNewNormal”
· Assign each member of your research team a different pose or letter to hold up and create a collage photo.
· Practicing social distancing either in the office, or in the lab.
· New procedures/policies (i.e. wearing face mask, etc.) in the lab while you do your research
· Your new co-workers – whether they are your children, pets, spouses, house plants…
· Your new work desk at home – especially if you have had to be a little creative with your set-up
Dates: The contest will be open August 3, 2020 – August 31, 2020. The top three winning photos will be announced on September 9, 2020.
Participants: All CISTAR faculty, staff and students are invited to participate.
Prizes: Cash prizes will be awarded to three photos based on for the most popular vote, creativity and a competition prize between faculty and students.
There are three awards with cash prizes – Popular Vote, Most Creative, and Best Visual Storyteller
There are two awards for teams - Faculty VS Students, and University
Individual Awards – Cash Prizes
1. Popular Vote– Prize Amount: $100 : The photo with the most overall likes on social media platforms
Photos will compete on social media to get the most “likes”. Photos can be shared on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Slack once a day. Each share counts as one vote. Each like your picture receives, counts as an additional vote for your photo. Your photo MUST have the hashtag “#CISTARNewNormal and tag @CISTAR_ERC for your likes to count as votes.
2. Most Creative – Prize Amount: $100 : The contest committee majority vote for the most imaginative & innovative photo
The contest committee will determine this winner by majority vote for the photo that is imaginative and thinks outside of the box when it comes to documenting this unique time in our history.
3. Best Visual Storyteller– Prize Amount: $100: The contest committee majority vote for the most impactful photo
The contest committee will determine this winner by majority vote for the photo that is most impactful and shows an interesting perspective.
Team Awards – these awards are mostly for bragging rights. So let’s see which team can contribute the most photos!
4. Faculty VS Students: The group with the most votes collectively on their photos will win!
5. University Award: The university that has the most votes collectively on their photos will win!
1.Use the CISTAR Quick Start Guide for Taking Great Photos from Home to set up your photo shoot and take your photo.
2. Write a caption for your photo including the names of people in the photo and describe what is happening in the shot.
3. Fill out an entry form (available by clicking on 'entry form' or using the link at the top of this page). Share your information and the caption for your photo and indicate if CISTAR has permission to use your photo.
4. Upload your photo.
a. On the form click ‘upload’ and choose your photo from your library.
5. Your photo will be posted to CISTAR’s Google Album, “#CISTARNewNormal Photo Contest” and on the CISTAR Slack Channel, “#cistarsocialmedia.
6. Post your photo to your social media accounts to earn votes for your photo. Your photo can be shared once per day, per social media channel to count for one vote per channel. Any “likes” your photo receives count towards your total number of votes.
1. All CISTAR faculty, staff, and students are encouraged and welcomed to participate.
2. You must have permission to photograph and share your photo on social media with all parties in the photo. If they have not filled out a CISTAR Photo Release Form, please submit it in an e-mail to email@example.com.
3. Photos must have an entry form granting permission for CISTAR to use the photo submitted for their photo to be considered.
4. Please make sure your photo is appropriate and does show any confidential material or information.
5. Each participant may enter as many photos as they like. However, there will be three different cash prize winners. (One participant cannot win multiple prizes).
6. Participants must have their photos tagged with the hashtag #CISTARNewNormal and tag CISTAR profiles to be considered as a point for daily sharing and any “likes” accumulated from the shared photo. CISTAR social media handles are below:
· CISTAR on Twitter: @cistar.erc
· CISTAR on Facebook: @cistar.erc
· CISTAR on LinkedIn: @cistarerc
· CISTAR on Instagram: @cistar_erc
7. Photos will be judged for the most points the photo has earned. The top three photos with the most points/likes will then be judged by the Photo Contest Committee for the remaining two prizes, Most Creative and Best Visual Storyteller.
8. Cash prizes will be awarded to the top three photos with the most points/likes.
9. Points are earned for sharing your photo on social media with the appropriate hashtag and tags; Participants earn one point per social media share; Participants earn one point per one “like” for your photos on social media. Example:
· Susan shares her photo with the contest hashtag and tagged CISTAR on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. On Twitter, 3 followers “liked” her photo, Facebook, 6 friends “liked” her photo and on LinkedIn she had zero likes.
· Susan earned 12 points for her photo by:
o 1 point for sharing on Twitter
o 1 point for sharing on Facebook
o 1 point for sharing on Linkedin
o 3 points for the likes on Twitter
o 6 points for the likes on Facebook