Associate Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP G167A
Phone: (765) 494-4573
Ph.D., Concordia University, 2008
M.A.Sc., Concordia University, 2002
B.Sc., National Kapodistrian University of Athens, 2000
- Smart buildings, intelligent building operation, system identification, model predictive control.
- Human-building interactions, personalized control, self-tuned environments.
- Energy efficient and mixed-mode buildings, innovative energy and comfort delivery systems.
- Solar technology integration in building operation.
Selected Research Projects
- CyberSEES: Type 2: Human-centered systems for cyber-enabled sustainable buildings, 2015-2018, funding source: National Science Foundation.
- CPS: Synergy: Plug-and-play cyber-physical systems to enable intelligent buildings, 2014-2017, funding source: National Science Foundation.
- Development of self-tuned indoor environments, 2016, funding source: Center for High Performance Buildings.
- Interface design thermal and visual preferences in office buildings, 2015, funding source: Lutron Electronics.
- A model-based framework for integration of smart operating strategies in the design of net zero energy buildings, 2013-2016, funding source: American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) - New Investigator Award.
- Integration of humans and their environment in building design and operation including advanced technologies, 2013-2015, funding source: Alcoa Foundation.
- Energy Efficient Buildings Hub, 2011-2014, funding source: US Department of Energy.
- Development of advanced controls for mixed-mode cooling, 2011-2013, funding source: Kawneer North America.
Honors & Awards
- Roy E. & Myrna G. Wansik Research Excellence Award, School of Civil Engineering, 2014.
- New Investigator Award, American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), 2013.
- Seed for Success Acorn Award, Purdue University, 2011, 2012.
- University Faculty Award, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, 2008.
- ASHRAE Grant-in-Aid Fellowship, "System identification and optimal control of intelligent high performance buildings with agent-based approach," 2015 (Jaewan Joe).
- Chorafas Foundation Award, PhD dissertation: "Modeling of photovoltaic-thermal systems with transpired solar collectors integrated in building operation simulation," 2014 (Siwei Li).
- Best student paper award, 3rd High Performance Buildings Conference at Purdue, 2014 (Amir Seyed Sadeghi).
- Best student paper award, 2nd High Performance Buildings Conference at Purdue, 2012 (Jianjun Hu).
- International Building Performance Association Student Travel Award, 2013 (Jianjun Hu).