Associate Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1997
M.S.C.E., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1994
B.S.C.E., Bucknell University, 1992
Sensing in civil and geoenvironmental engineering:
- Raman and fluorescence spectroscopy for geoenvironmental sensing
- Understanding nitrogen cycle inefficiencies in the soil and water environment using in-situ sensing techniques
- Assessing biodegradation potential and progress for monitored natural attenuation of chlorinated solvents in groundwater
- Economic and technical benefits of real-time rolling resistance measurement for haul road vehicles
- Prevention of sensor bio-fouling during in-situ freshwater analyses
- Examination of subsurface pavement drainage conduits using GPR
- Assessment of high molecular weight organic compounds by LED-induced fluorescence
- Pore fluid engineering for liquefaction remediation
Innovation and business management:
- Managing the inherent uncertainty of developing new innovations and encouraging their adoption
- Evaluation of case-based teaching methods as a means to develop entrepreneurial skills and mindset among engineering students
- Company level liquidity assessment and financial decision making for construction contractors
- Strategic development of high-performance teams in large-scale construction projects
- Developing a process to manage identify, prioritize, and adopt new technologies in departments of transportation
- Business model innovation
- Sinfield, J.V., Fagerman, D. and Colic, O. "Evaluation of Sensing Technologies for On-the-Go Detection of Macro-Nutrients in Cultivated Soils," Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, v, 70, n. 1, 1-18, 2010.
- Sinfield, J.V., Colic, O., Fagerman, D. and Monwuba, C. "A Low-cost Time-resolved Raman Spectroscopic Sensing System Enabling Fluorescence Suppression," Applied Spectroscopy, v. 63, n. 2, 201-210, 2010.
- Sinfield, J.V., Hemond, H.F., Germaine, J.T., Johnson, B., and Bloch, B., "Contaminant Detection, Identification, and Quantification Using a Microchip Laser Fluorescence Sensor," ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering, v.133, n. 3, 346-351, 2007.
- Dunston, P.S., Sinfield, J.V., Lee, T.Y., "Technology Development Decision Economics for Real-time Rolling Resistance Monitoring of Haul Roads," ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, v. 133, n. 5, 393-402, 2007.
- Anthony, S.D., Johnson, M. W., Sinfield, J.V., "Institutionalizing Innovation," Sloan Management Review, v. 49, n. 2, 45-50, Winter 2008.
- Anthony, S.D., Johnson, M.W., Sinfield, J.V., Altman, E.J., The Innovator's Guide to Growth - Putting Disruptive Innovation to Work, Harvard Business Press, 2008, 299 p. (translated into Japanese (October 2008), Mandarin (December 2008), and Polish (March 2010)).