Associate Professor of Civil Engineering and Associate Director of Bowen Laboratory
School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
HAMP 4121 / BOWN 1030
Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley, 2000
MS., University of California at Berkeley, 1996
BAE., Pennsylvania State University, 1995
Steel structures, cyclic behavior of beam-to-column connections, earthquake engineering, performance-based design.
Selected Research Projects
- 2006-2009, NCHRP: Bridge Deck Design Criteria and Testing Procedures, Liu w/ R. Connor; collaboration with Oregon State.
- 2006-2007, Purdue Research Foundation: Development of Steel Slit Panels for Lateral Resistance of Steel Frame Buildings, Liu.
- 2005-2006, Purdue Research Foundation: Characterization of Non-Structural Elements for Health Monitoring of Steel Moment Frame Buildings II, Liu.
- 2005-2007 + extension, JTRP/INDOT: Evaluation of Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Bridge Deck Panels, Liu.
- 2004-2008 + time extension, National Science Foundation (NSF): NEESR-SG: Self-Centering Damage-Free Seismic-Resistant Steel Frame Systems, Liu.
- 2004-2008 + time extension, American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC): Steel Panel - Dual Systems for Lateral Resistance of Steel Frame Buildings, Liu.