Associate Dean of Engineering for Resource Planning and Management and Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: ARMS 2027
Phone: (765) 494-5904
Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin
M.S.E., University of Texas at Austin
B.S.E., Tulane University
- Behavior and design of structural concrete
- Earthquake engineering
- Repair and rehabilitation of structures
- Bridge engineering
Selected Research Projects
- 2016-2017, Simpson, Gumpertz & Heger: Relaxation Testing of Steel Rods.
- 2016-2019, JTRP/LTAP: Development and Implementation of Concrete Box Beam Risk Assessment and Mitigation Program.
- 2015-2016, JTRP: Development of a Cost Effective Bridge Preservation and Rehabilitation Program.
- 2013-2016, JTRP: Guardrails for use on historic bridges.
- 2012-2015, ACI, PCI, CRSI, Concrete Industry Foundation (CIF): Improved procedures for the design of slender structural concrete columns.
- 2011-2013, JTRP: Post-tensioning technologies
- 2011-2013, JTRP: Implementation of performance-based bridge deck protective systems.
- 2010-2014, JTRP: Increasing Bridge Deck Service Life, Frosch w/ Labi.
- 2010-2012, JTRP: Reduction of Bridge Construction and Maintenance Costs through Coupled Geotechnical and Structural Design of Integral Abutment Bridges, Frosch w/ Bobet.
- 2009-2011, JTRP: Development of a Cost-Effective Bridge Preservation and Rehabilitation Program, Frosch w/ Kreger.
- 2008-2009, JTRP: High Performance Concrete Pavement for Indiana, Frosch.
- 2008-2012, JTRP/FHWA: Improving the Design of U-Beams for Indiana, Frosch w/ Kreger.
- 2008-2009, PCI: A New Connection System for Precast Bridge Deck Panels, Frosch.
- 2007-2011, JTRP: Long-Term Behavior of Integral Abutment Bridges, Frosch.
Licensed Professional Engineer in Indiana & Louisiana
Honors & Awards
- PCI Young Educator Achievement Award, 2007
- Harold Munson Teaching Award, outstanding teachers, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1999, 2006
- Outstanding Young Alumnus, The University of Texas at Austin recognizes an alumnus of the Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering Department under the age of 40 who has distinguished him or herself with outstanding service and contributions to the profession, 2006
- Edmund M. Burke Outstanding Professor Award, outstanding professor, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2003
- Roy E. and Myrna Wansik Civil Engineering Research Award, outstanding performance in research activity, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2001
- Fellow, American Concrete Institute
- Bice, J.K., and Frosch, R.J., "A Parametric Study of Design Factors Influencing Cracking from Restrained Shrinkage," ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, in progress.
- Bice, J.K., and Frosch, R.J., "Simplified Modeling of Restrained Volume Changes in Concrete Slabs," ACI Structural Journal, in progress.
- Pay, A.C., and Frosch, R.J., "Bond Strength of Reinforcement: A Unified Theory," ACI Structural Journal, in progress.
- Pay, A.C., Canbay, E., and Frosch, R.J., "Experimental Evaluation of Beams with Spliced FRP Reinforcement," ACI Structural Journal, in progress.
- Calabrese, D.M., Wilken, D., and Frosch, R.J., "Bowing of Brick Precast Panels caused by Differential Shrinkage," PCI Journal, submitted.
- Saqan, E.I., and Frosch, R.J., "Influence of Flexural Reinforcement on Shear Strength of Prestressed Beams without Web Reinforcement," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 106, No. 1, January-February 2009, pp. 60-68.