Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP G239
Phone: (765) 494-5033
Personal Web Site
Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1997
M.S., Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, 1983
B.S., Universidad Politecnica de Madrid
Engineering geology, underground construction, rock mechanics, fracture mechanics.
Selected Research Projects
- Liquefaction Susceptibility Mapping in the Evansville, Indiana, Region Including an Investigation of 2D Amplification and Duration Effects Due to Bedrock Valley Structure (Co-PI). USGS (2007).
- Effect of Inclusions on Material Performance - Investigation Through Micro-Continuum, Discontinuum and Nano-Indentation Approaches (Co-PI). National Science Foundation (2006-2009).
- Classification of Organic Soils (Co-PI). Joint Transportation Research Program (2005 to 2007).
- Post-Construction Evaluation of Lime Treated Soils (PI). Joint Transportation Research Program (2005 to 2007).
- Soil Treatment with Thixotropic Fluids: An Autoadaptive Design for Liquefaction Prevention (PI). National Science Foundation (2004 to 2007).
- Slip Initiation on Frictional Fractures (PI). American Chemical Society (2004 to 2006).
Honors & Awards
- Roy E. and Myrna Wansik Research Award, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2005
- Guerra y Rubio Prize for best Civil Engineering graduating students, Universidad Politica de Madrid, Madrid, Spain, 1983
- Huo, H., Bobet, A., Fernandez, G. and Ramirez, J. (2006), "Analytical Solution for Deep Rectangular Structures Subjected to Far-Field Shear Stresses", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 613-625.
- Mutlu, O. and Bobet, A. (2006), "Slip Propagation along Frictional Discontinuities", International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 43, pp. 860-876.
- Nam, S. and Bobet, A. (2006), "Liner Stresses in Deep Tunnels below the Water Table", Tunneling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 626-635.
- Parra-Montesinos, G.J., Bobet, A., and Ramirez, J. (2006), "Evaluation of Soil-Structure Interaction And Structural Collapse In Daikai Subway Station During Kobe Earthquake", Structural Journal, American Concrete Institute, Vol. 103, No. 1, pp. 113-122.
- Bobet, A. (2005), "A Simple Method for the Design of Tunnel Support with Anchored Rockbolts", Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 315-338.
- Huo, H., Bobet, A., Fernandez, G., and Ramirez, J. (2005), "Load Transfer Mechanisms between Underground Structure and Surrounding Ground: Evaluation of the Failure of the Daikai Station", ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 131, No. 12, pp. 1522-1533.