Professor of Civil Engineering and Environmental and Ecological Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 2129
Phone: (765) 494-0316
Personal Web Site
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1988
M.S., University of California, Berkeley, 1983
B.S., Purdue University, 1981
Physico/chemical processes of environmental engineering.
Selected Research Projects
- 2006-2008, American Water Works Association Research Foundation, Challenge Organisms for Inactivation of Viruses by Ultraviolet Treatment, Blatchley.
- 2006-present, HydroQual, Analysis and Validation of Large-Scale Ultraviolet Disinfection Systems, Blatchley with Scheible, Bergstrom, and Robinson.
- 2006-2007, National Swimming Pool Foundation, Combined Application of UV Radiation and Chlorine for Recreational Waters-Phase I: Basic Chemistry and Photochemistry, Blatchely.
- 2006-2007, Center for the Environment, Purdue University, Development of a Peptide Nucleic Acid Actinometer, Blatchley with Bergstrom.
- 2003-2008, NASA NSCORT: Center of Excellence in Advanced Life Support, Mitchell.
- 2004-2007, Metropolitan Water District of Southern California Demonstration-Scale Evaluation of Dyed Microspheres for Quantification of Dose Delivery in Ultraviolet Disinfection Systems, Blatchley w/ Bergstrom and Robinson.
Honors & Awards
- Diplomate Environmental Engineer (DEE) (aka, Board Certified Environmental Engineer, BCEE), American Academy of Environmental Engineers, by Eminence in the Specialty of Water Supply and Wastewater, 2006.
- William Edgar Award for Pioneering Research in Disinfection, Water Environment Federation, 2005
- Roy E. and Myrna G. Wansik Research Leadership Award, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1998
- Nominee, Charles B. Murphy Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, Purdue University, 1998.
- Nominee, Curtis McGraw Research Award, ASEE, 1998, 1999.
- Nominee, A.A. Potter Outstanding Teacher Award, Schools of Engineering, Purdue University, 1997.
- Harold Munson Outstanding Teacher Award, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1997
- Blatchley III, E.R. (2012) "Effects of Modified Mixing Devices on Effluent Quality in Aerated Lagoons: Wingate, IN," Alliance of Indiana Rural Water, Wingate, IN, September 17, 2012.
- Blatchley III, E.R. (2012) "Effects of UV-Based Treatment on Water and Air Chemistry in Chlorinated Indoor Pools," Presented at: World Aquatic Health Conference, Norfolk, VA, 12 October 2012.
- Blatchley III, E.R.; Shen, C. (2012) "Biodosimetry, CFD-I, and Lagrangian Actinometry for UV System Validation," Presented at: WEFTEC Pre-Conference Workshop: Computational Fluid Dynamics: Fundamentals and Applications for Wastewater Treatment, Disinfection, and Reuse, New Orleans, LA, 29 September 2012.
- Blatchley III, E.R. (2012) "UV Technologies for Aquatics Applications: State of the Art, Research Needs, and Translation to Other Settings," Keynote Presentation Given to: Moving Forward: Sustainable UV Solutions to Meet Evolving Regulatory Challenges IUVA Americas Meeting, Washington, DC, 14 August 2012..
- Weng, S.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2012) "UV-Induced Effects on Chlorination of N-DBP Precursors," Presented at: Drinking Water Disinfection By-Products Gordon Research Conference, Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA, 8 August 2012.
- Blatchley III, E.R. (2012) "Effects of UV-Based Treatment on Air and Water Chemistry in Chlorinated, Indoor Swimming Pools," Presented at: Drinking Water Disinfection By-Products Gordon Research Conference, Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA, 8 August 2012.