Blatchley III, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, F.ASCE
Professor of Civil Engineering and Environmental and Ecological Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 2129
Phone: (765) 494-0316
Personal Web Site
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1988
M.S., University of California, Berkeley, 1983
B.S., Purdue University, 1981
Physico/chemical processes of environmental engineering. Emphasis is on processes that relate to water quality, especially those that involve UV radiation, chlorine, or both.
Selected Research Projects
- 2012-present, US EPA, Hydrologists Helping Others (H2O), Dr. William M Scholl Foundation, Purdue University: "Water Supply in Developing Countries" (interdisciplinary service-learning program to provide community-scale water treatment systems to small communities in developing countries).
- 2012-present, Citizens Energy Group, WE&RF, Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago, New York Department of Environmental Protection, NYSERDA, Suez Environnement: "Stochastic Methods for Design and Validation of UV Disinfection Systems."
- 2013-2014, Indiana Water Resources Research Center: "Attached-Growth Lagoons for Wastewater Nitrification in Small Communities."
- 2013-2015, NSF International: "Tetraselmis as a Challenge Organism for Validation of Ballast Water UV Systems."
- 2015-present, Trask Innovation Fund, Global Engineering Program Office, Borlaug Fellows Program: "Continuous-Flow, Community-Scale Solar UV Disinfection Systems for Water Treatment."
- 2011-2017, National Swimming Pool Foundation, China Scholarship Council: "Effects of Chlorine/UV Process on Air and Water Chemistry."
- 2015-present, China Scholarship Council, Purdue University: "Chlorine/UV Process for Degradation and Detoxification of Cyanotoxins."
Honors & Awards
- EPA Training Fellowship, University of California, Berkeley, 1982 - 1983
- Chi Epsilon, 1994 - present
- Harold Munson Outstanding Teacher Award, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1997
- Roy E. and Myrna G. Wansik Research Leadership Award, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1998
- William Edgar Award for Pioneering Research in Disinfection, Water Environment Federation, 2005
- Diplomate Environmental Engineer (DEE) (aka, Board Certified Environmental Engineer, BCEE), American Academy of Environmental Engineers, by Eminence in the Specialty of Water Supply and Wastewater, 2006 - present
- Sigma Xi, 2007 - present
- Aquatics International 2008 "Power 25" - Annual list of the 25 most influential aquatics professionals (see http://www.aquaticsintl.com/2008/feb/0802_power.html)
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2014 - present
- Engagement and Service Award, Purdue University, College of Engineering, 2016. Awarded for leadership in development of interdisciplinary service-learning class entitled "Water Supply in Developing Countries." The class designs, builds, and implements holistic, community-scale water treatment systems for impoverished communities in developing countries.
- Daiber, E.J.; DeMarini, D.M.; Ravuri, S.A.; Liberatore, H.K.; Cutherbertson, A.A.; Thompson-Klemish, A.; Byer, J.D.; Schmid, J.; Afifi, M.Z.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Richardson, S.D. (2016) "Progressive Increase in Disinfection Byproducts and Mutagenicity from Source to Tap to Swimming Pool to Spa Water: Implications for Public Health," Environmental Science & Technology, 50, 6652-6662.
- Zhang, X.; Li, J.; Yang, J.Y.; Wood, K.V.; Rothwell, A.P.; Li, W.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2016) "Chlorine/UV Process for Decomposition and Detoxification of Microcystin-LR," Environmental Science & Technology, 50, 7671-7678.
- Clair, R.P.; Rastogi, R.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Clawson, R.A.; Erdmann, C.; Lee, S. (2016) "Extended Narrative Empathy: Poly-Narratives and the Practice of Open Defecation," Communication Theory, 26, 4, 469-488.
- Zare Afifi, M.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2016) "Effects of UV-based treatment on volatile disinfection byproducts in a chlorinated, indoor swimming pool," Water Research, 105, 167-177.
- E. Y.; Bai, H.; Lian, L.; Li, J.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2016) "Effect of chloride on the formation of volatile disinfection byproducts in chlorinated swimming pools," Water Research, 105, 413-420.
- Ding, L.; Weiss, W.J.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2017) "Effects of concrete composition to resistance to microbially-induced corrosion," Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 143, 6, 04017014.
- Weng, S.C.; Yang, J.Y.; Li, Y.H.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2017) "UV-induced effects on toxicity of model DBPs," Science of the Total Environment, 599-600, 94-97.
- LSun, Z.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2017) "Tetraselmis as a challenge organism for validation of ballast water UV systems," Water Research, 121, 311-319.
- Li, M.; Qiang, Z.; Wang, C.; Bolton, J.R.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2017) "Experimental Assessment of Photon Fluence Rate Distributions in a Medium-Pressure UV Photoreactor," Environmental Science & Technology, 51, 3453-3460.
- Ibarra-Taquez, H.N.; GilPavas, E.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Gomez-Garcia, M.A.; Dobrosz-Gomez, I (2017) "Integrated electrocoagulation-electrooxidation process for the treatment of soluble coffee effluent: Optimization of COD degradation and operation time analysis," Journal of Environmental Management, 200, 530-538.
- Li, M.; Li, W.; Qiang, Z.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2017) "On-Site Determination and Monitoring of Real-Time Fluence Delivery for an Operating UV Reactor Based on a True Fluence Rate Detector," Environmental Science & Technology, 51, 14, 8094-8100.
- Li, M.; Li, W.; Wen, D.; Qiang, Z.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2017) "Experimental Evaluation of Turbidity Impact on the Fluence Rate Distribution in a UV Reactor Using a Microfluorescent Silica Detector," Environmental Science & Technology, DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.7b02730.