Associate Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 1101D
Phone: (765) 494-3844
Personal Web Site
Ph.D., Stanford University, 2003
M.S., Stanford University, 1997
B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1995
Environmental fluid mechanics, turbulence and mixing in natural water bodies, Lake Michigan circulation, internal waves, surface water waves, density-stratified flows, laboratory and field techniques in fluid mechanics including particle image velocimetry (PIV) and planar laser-induced fluorescence (PLIF).
Honors & Awards
- Purdue University Bravo Award (2015)
- Purdue University Exceptional Early Career Teaching Award (2014)
- Exceptional Early Career Teaching Award, Purdue College of Engineering (2014)
- Edmund Burke Outstanding Civil Engineering Professor Award (2012)
- Harold Munson Teaching Award (2010)
- Zimmerman Civil Engineering Innovation Award (2009)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, ExCEED Teaching Fellow (2009)
- Coulter, D., and Sepúlveda, M.S., Troy, C.D., Höök, T.O., (2014). Thermal habitat quality of aquatic organisms near power plant discharges: potential exacerbating effects of climate warming. Fisheries Ecology and Management. 21: 196-210.
- Essig, R., Troy, C.D., Jesiek, B.K., Boyd, J., and Trellinger, N., (2014). "Adventures in Paragraph Writing: The Development and Refinement of Scalable and Effective Writing Exercises for Large-enrollment Engineering Courses." Proceedings of the 2014 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Indianapolis, IN, June 15-18, 2014.
- Ahmed, S., Troy, C.D., and Hawley, N., (2013). Spatial structure of internal Poincaré waves in Lake Michigan. Environmental Fluid Mechanics, 1-21.
- Choi, J.M., Troy, C.D., Hsieh, T.-C., Hawley, N., and McCormick, M.J., (2012). A Year of Internal Poincaré Waves in Southern Lake Michigan. Journal of Geophysical Research, doi:10.1029/2012JC007984.
- Troy, C.D., Ahmed, S., Hawley, N., and Goodwell, A. (2012) "Cross-shelf thermal structure in Lake Michigan during the stratified periods," Journal of Geophysical Research, VOL. 117, C02028, 16 PP., 2012 doi:10.1029/2011JC007148.
- Hult, E.L., Troy, C.D., and Koseff, J.R., (2011) "The mixing efficiency of interfacial waves breaking at a ridge. Part I: Overall mixing efficiency." Journal of Geophysical Research, Journal of Geophysical Research, VOL. 116, C02003, doi:10.1029/2010JC006485.
- Hult, E.L., Troy, C.D., and Koseff, J.R., (2011) "The mixing efficiency of interfacial waves breaking at a ridge. Part II: Local Energetics." Journal of Geophysical Research, VOL. 116, C02004, doi:10.1029/2010JC006488.