Edgar B. and Hedwig M. Olson Distinguished Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP G237
Phone: (765) 494-2211
Transportation systems analysis, transportation infrastructure economics and management, transportation safety, urban and regional planning.
Ph.D., University of Connecticut, 1968
M.S.C.E., University of Connecticut, 1966
D.T.R.P., Calcutta University, 1964
B.S.C.E., Jadavpur University (India), 1961
Licensed Professional Engineer in Indiana
Honors & Awards
- James Laurie Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2011.
- Member, National Academy of Engineering, 2008.
- Honorary Member, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2005.
- Distinguished Award, Council of University Transportation Centers, 2005.
- National Associate of the National Academies, 2004.
- Emeritus Member, Committee on International Activities, Transportation Research Board (TRB), 2004.
- Wilbur S. Smith Distinguished Transportation Educator Award, Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE), 2002.
- Chi Epsilon Chapter Honor Member, Purdue University, 2002.
- Francis C. Turner Lecture Award, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 2001.
- Emeritus Member, Committee on Transportation Programming, Planning and System Evaluation, Transportation Research Board (TRB), 2001.
- S.S. Steinberg Award, American Road and Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA), 2000.
- Harland Bartholomew Award, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 1996.
- Engineering Alumni Award, University of Connecticut, 1995.
- Arthur Wellington Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 1992.
- Distinguished International Visiting Scholar, (inaugural recipient), Ministry of Science and Technology, Slovenia, 1992.
- International Research and Exchanges Board (IREX) Senior Scholar, USSR, 1989.
- Sagamore of the Wabash, awarded by the Governor of Indiana, 1989 and 1997.
- Distinguished Lecturer Award, Universities of Belgrade, Ljubljana, Maribor, Split, and Zagreb, Yugoslavia, U. S. Fulbright Program, 1988.
- Frank M. Masters Transportation Engineering Award, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 1986.
- Guest Scientist in India, U.S. National Science Foundation and University Grants Commission, India, 1981.
- Fred Burggraf Award, Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, 1972.
- University Gold Medal, in Town and Regional Planning, Calcutta University, 1964.
- Bai, Q., Labi, S., Sinha, K. C., and Thompson, P. D. (2013). Bridge user cost estimation-a synthesis of existing methods and addressing the issues of multiple counting, workzones and traffic capacity limitation. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 9(9), 849-859.
- Arman, M., Labi, S., and Sinha, K. C. (2013). Perspectives of the Operational Performance of Public Transportation Agencies with Data Envelopment Analysis Technique. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2351(1), 30-37.
- Everett, S., Xiong, Y., Sinha, K. C., and Fricker, J. D. (2013). Ex Post Facto Evaluation of Indiana's Highway Investment Program. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2345(1), 24-30.
- Zhang, Z., Bai, Q., Labi, S., and Sinha, K. C. (2013). General Framework for Evaluating Long-Term Leasing of Toll Roads. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2345(1), 83-91.
- Bai, Q., Labi, S., Sinha, K. C., and Thompson, P. D. (2012). Multiobjective Optimization for Project Selection in Network-Level Bridge Management Incorporating Decision-Maker's Preference Using the Concept of Holism. Journal of Bridge Engineering, 18(9), 879-889.
- Ong, G. P., Fitzpatrick, V., Labi, S., and Sinha, K. C. (2012). Hazard-Based Analysis of Highway Project Development Times. Journal of Transportation Engineering, 138(10), 1259-1268.
- Bai, Q., Labi, S., and Sinha, K. C. (2011). Trade-off analysis for multiobjective optimization in transportation asset management by generating Pareto frontiers using Extreme Points Nondominated Sorting Genetic Algorithm II. Journal of Transportation Engineering, 138(6), 798-808.
- Patidar, V., Labi, S., Morin, T., Thompson, P. D., and Sinha, K. C. (2011). Evaluating methods and algorithms for multicriteria bridge management at the network level. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2220(1), 38-47.
- Bhargava, A., Anastasopoulos, P. C., Labi, S., Sinha, K. C., and Mannering, F. L. (2010). Three-stage least-squares analysis of time and cost overruns in construction contracts. Journal of construction engineering and management, 136 (11), 1207-1218.
- Oh, J. J., and Sinha, K. C. (2010). Self-financing and distance-based highway pricing scheme: State highway system perspective. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 17(3), 95-106.