Edgar B. and Hedwig M. Olson Distinguished Professor of Civil Engineering
School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Ph.D., University of Connecticut, 1968
M.S.C.E., University of Connecticut, 1966
D.T.R.P., Calcutta University, 1964
B.S.C.E., Jadavpur University (India), 1961
Licensed Professional Engineer in Indiana
Transportation systems analysis, transportation infrastructure economics and management, transportation safety, urban and regional planning.
Honors and Awards
- James Laurie Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2011.
- Member, National Academy of Engineering, 2008.
- Honorary Member, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2005.
- Distinguished Award, Council of University Transportation Centers, 2005.
- National Associate of the National Academies, 2004.
- Emeritus Member, Committee on International Activities, Transportation Research Board (TRB), 2004.
- Wilbur S. Smith Distinguished Transportation Educator Award, Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE), 2002.
- Chi Epsilon Chapter Honor Member, Purdue University, 2002.
- Francis C. Turner Lecture Award, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 2001.
- Emeritus Member, Committee on Transportation Programming, Planning and System Evaluation, Transportation Research Board (TRB), 2001.
- S.S. Steinberg Award, American Road and Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA), 2000.
- Harland Bartholomew Award, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 1996.
- Engineering Alumni Award, University of Connecticut, 1995.
- Arthur Wellington Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 1992.
- Distinguished International Visiting Scholar, (inaugural recipient), Ministry of Science and Technology, Slovenia, 1992.
- International Research and Exchanges Board (IREX) Senior Scholar, USSR, 1989.
- Sagamore of the Wabash, awarded by the Governor of Indiana, 1989 and 1997.
- Distinguished Lecturer Award, Universities of Belgrade, Ljubljana, Maribor, Split, and Zagreb, Yugoslavia, U. S. Fulbright Program, 1988.
- Frank M. Masters Transportation Engineering Award, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 1986.
- Guest Scientist in India, U.S. National Science Foundation and University Grants Commission, India, 1981.
- Fred Burggraf Award, Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, 1972.
- University Gold Medal, in Town and Regional Planning, Calcutta University, 1964.