Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP G175A
Phone: (765) 494-5926
Personal Web Site
Ph.D., Purdue University, 2001
M.S., Purdue University, 1997
B.S., University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana, 1987
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) techniques for material characterization
- Asset Management (pavements, bridges, safety, congestion)
- Construction project management (contracting approaches, overrun of cost and time)
- Costs analysis of engineering systems (highways, transit)
- Policy analysis
- Project and program evaluation
- Transportation Finance (traditional and innovative mechanisms)
- Transportation Law (assessment and risk mitigation of tort liability)
Selected Research Projects
- Indiana DOT/FHWA through Joint Transportation Research Program. Development of Bridge Management System for Indiana, 2005-2007, Co-PI.
- Indiana DOT/FHWA through Joint Transportation Research Program. Influence of Speed on Highway Safety, 2005-2007, Co-PI.
- NCHRP, National Research Council. Multiple Objective Optimization for Bridge Management Systems, 2004-2006, Co-PI.
Honors & Awards
SIGMA XI (the Scientific Research Society)
CHI EPSILON (National Civil Engineering Honor Society)
2008 – K.B. WOODS AWARD for Best Paper in Design and Construction, awarded by the Transportation Research Board (TRB), presented at the 87th Annual Meeting of the TRB in Washington, D.C.
2007 – BRYANT MATHER AWARD for Best Paper in Concrete Materials, awarded by the American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) at the 86th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington D.C.
2002 – MILTON PIKARSKI AWARD for Best National Ph.D. Dissertation in Transportation (Science and Technology category), awarded by the Council of University Transportation Centers (CUTC) and sponsored by the American Roads and Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA).
- Anastasopoulos, P., Labi, S., McCullouch, B., Karlaftis, M., (2010). Influence of Highway Project Characteristics on Contract Type Selection - An Empirical Assessment. Accepted for publication, ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems.
- Li, Z., Labi, S., Karlaftis, M.G., (2010). Project-level Life-Cycle Cost Analysis Evaluation of Safety Hardware Improvements, Accepted for publication, Transportation Research Record.
- Anastasopoulos, P., Labi, S., Bhargava, A., Bordat, C., Mannering, F., (2010). Frequency of change orders in highway construction using alternate count-data modeling methods. Accepted for publication in ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.
- Lamptey, G., Singh, L., Labi, S., Sinha, K.C., (2010). Systematic Framework for Incorporating Safety in Network-Level Transportation Planning and Programming, in queue for publication, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering.
- Anastasopoulos, P., Labi, S., McCullough, B., (2010). Analyzing Duration and Prolongation of Performance-based Contracts Using Hazard-based Duration and Zero-Inflated Random Parameters Poisson Models, in queue for publication, Transportation Research Record.
- Bhargava, A., Anastasopoulos, P., Labi, S., Sinha, K.C., Mannering, F., (2010). A three-stage least squares analysis of time and cost overruns in construction contracts. Accepted for publication, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.
- Sinha, K.C., Patidar, V., Li, Z., Labi, S., Thompson, P.D., (2009). Establishing the Weights of Performance Criteria - Case Studies in Transportation Facility Management, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 135, p. 619-631.
- Irfan, M., Khurshid, M., Anastasopoulos, P., Labi, S., Moavenzadeh, F., (2009). Predicting highway contract duration on the basis of project size and contract type. Accepted for publication in International Journal of Project Management.
- Anastasopoulos, P., Labi, S., Florax, R., Karlaftis, M.G., (2009). Contracting in Highway Maintenance and Rehabilitation: Are Spatial Effects Important? Accepted for publication, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
- Irfan, M., Khurshid, M.B., Labi, S., Flora, W., (2009). Evaluating the Cost-effectiveness of Flexible Rehabilitation Alternatives using Different Performance Criteria, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Volume 135, Issue 10, pp. 753-763.
- Khurshid, M.B., Irfan, M., Labi, S., (2009). An Analysis of the Cost-effectiveness of Rigid Pavement Rehabilitation Treatments. Structure & Infrastructure Engineering: Maintenance, Management, Life-Cycle Design & Performance, Taylor & Francis Group. Accepted for publication.
- Bilal, M.K., Irfan, M., Labi, S., (2009). Comparing Methods for Evaluating Pavement Interventions - A Discussion and Case Study, Transportation Research Record 2108, p. 25-36.
- Irfan, M., Bilal, M.K., Labi, S., (2009). Service Life of Thin HMA Overlay Using Different Performance Indicators, Transportation Research Record 2108, p. 37-45.
- Gkritza, K., Labi, S., (2008) Estimating Cost Discrepancies in Highway Contracts: A Multi-Step Econometric Approach, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 134, Nr. 12, p. 953 - 962.
- Hamideh, A., Oh, J., Labi, S., Mannering, F.L., (2008) Public Acceptance of Local Government Transportation Sales Taxes: A Statistical Assessment, State & Local Government Review 40(3).
- Lamptey, G., Labi, S., Li, Z. (2008). Decision Support for Optimal Scheduling of Highway Pavement Preventive Maintenance within Resurfacing Cycle, in Elsevier Decision Support Systems, Vol. 46, Issue 1, p. 376-387.
- Gkritza K., Sinha, K.C., Labi, S., Mannering, F.L., (2008). Influence of Highway Constr. Projects on Economic Development: An Empirical Assessment. Annals of Regional Science, 42:545-563.
- Oh, J., Labi, S., Sinha, K.C., (2007). Implementation and Evaluation of Self-Financing Highway Pricing Schemes-Numerical Analysis for Indiana, Transportation Research Record 1966, p.25-33.
- Patidar, V., Labi, S., Sinha, K.C., Thompson, P.D., Hyman, W.A., Shirole, A., (2007). Performance Measures for Enhanced Bridge Management, Transportation Research Record 1991, p. 43-53.
- Fang, C., Labi, S., (2007). Evaluating the Static Segregation Resistance of Hardened Self- Consolidating Concrete using Image Processing Technology, Transportation Research Record 2020, p 1-9.
- Pasupathy, R., Labi, S., Sinha, K.C., (2007). Optimal Reconstruction Periods for Stochastically-Deteriorating Infrastructures, Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 22 (6), p. 389-399.
- Singh, P., Labi, S., Sinha, K.C., (2007). Cost-effectiveness of Warranty Projects in Indiana, ASCE Journal of Constr. Engineering and Management Vol. 133, Nr. 3, p. 217-224.
- Labi, S., Lamptey, G., Kong, S., (2007). Effectiveness of Micro-surfacing Treatments, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering Vol. 133, Nr. 5, p. 298-307.
- Rodriguez, M.M., Labi, S., Li, Z., (2006). Enhanced Bridge Replacement Cost Models for Indiana's Bridge Management System, Transportation Research Record 1958, p. 13-23.
- Labi, S., Rodriguez, M.M., and Sinha, K.C., (2006). Assessing Preservation Needs for a Bridge Network: A Comparison of Alternative Approaches, Structure & Infrastructure Engineering: Maintenance, Management, Life-Cycle Design & Performance, Taylor & Francis Group, Oct 28 Issue, p. 1-15.