Associate Professor and Associate Head of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 4131
Phone: (765) 494-2252
Ph.D., California Institute of Technology, 1985
M.S., California Institute of Technology, 1979
B.S., University of Southern California, 1978
Structural dynamics, random vibration, earthquake engineering, computer applications.
Selected Research Projects
- Field Investigation of a Concrete Deck Designed by the AASHTO LRFD Empirical Method, January 2002 - April 2006, Joint Transportation Research Program, Co-PI (50%).
- Statistical Analysis of Indiana Rainfall Data, January 2005 - June 30, 2007, Joint Transportation Research Program, Co-PI (50%).
Honors & Awards
- Ross Judson Buck Outstanding Counselor Award, 2013
- Edmund M. Burke Outstanding Faculty Award, 2013
- Roy E. & Myrna G. Wansik Teaching Leadership Award, 2011
- Ross Judson Buck Outstanding Counselor Award, 2009
- Ross Judson Buck Outstanding Counselor Award, 2002
- Edmund M. Burke Outstanding Faculty Award, 1999
- Whalen, T.M., Savage, G.T., and Jeong, G.D., (2004), "An Evaluation of the Self-Determined Probability-Weighted Moment Method for Estimating Extreme Wind Speeds," Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol. 92, pp. 219-239.
- Whalen, T.M., Savage, G.T., and Jeong, G.D., (2002). "The Method of Self-Determined Probability Weighted Moments Revisited," Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 268, pp. 177-191.