Associate Professor of Civil Engineering and Agricultural and Biological Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP G167B
Phone: (765) 494-4597
Ph.D., Purdue, 2006
M.S.C.E., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2003
Diploma in C.E., National Technical University of Athens, Greece, 2001
Transportation planning, economics and modeling; transportation energy and sustainability; highway safety; transportation electrification
Selected Research Projects
- Evaluating opportunities to enhance the Hoosier State Train ridership through a survey of riders' opinions and an assessment of access to the line, INDOT/JTRP, 2016-2018
- Economic Benefits of Corridor Improvements, INDOT/JTRP, 2014-2017
- Synthesis Study: Best Practices for Maximizing Driver Attention to Work Zone Warning Signs (End of Queue Warning
Devices), INDOT/JTRP, 2014-2016
- Heated Airport Pavements-Task 1A Energy and Financial Viability, FAA, 2013-2016
- 21st Century National Energy and Transportation Infrastructures for Balancing Environmental Impacts, Costs, and Resiliency (NETSCORE-21), National Science Foundation EFRI-RESIN, 2008-2013
Honors & Awards
2016 - Outstanding Engineering Graduate Student Mentor, Lyles School of Civil Engineering
2016 - Jane F. Garvey/UMass ITE Transportation Leadership Award
2014 - National Academy of Engineering Frontiers of Engineering Education Symposium Attendee
2013 - Early Career Engineering Faculty Research Award, College of Engineering, Iowa State University.
2012 - Engineering Student Council Outstanding Club Advisor Award, College of Engineering, Iowa State University.
2011 - Schafer Award for Excellence in Teaching, Research, and Service, Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University.
2008 - American Society of Civil Engineers ExCEEd Fellow.
2007 - C.V. Wootan Memorial Award for Outstanding PhD Dissertation in Policy and Planning, Council of University Transportation Centers.
- Rentziou, A., K. Gkritza, and R. Souleyrette, "VMT, Energy Consumption, and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Forecasting for Passenger Transportation," Transportation Research Part A, 46(3), 487-500 (2012).
- Lavrenz, S., and K. Gkritza, "Environmental and Energy Impacts of Automated Electric Highway Systems," Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, 17 (2), 221-232 (2013).
- Shaheed, M., W. Zhang, K. Gkritza, and Z. Hans, "A Mixed Logit Analysis of Two-Vehicle Crash Severities Involving a Motorcycle," Accident Analysis and Prevention, Special Issue on Emerging Research Methods and their Application to Road Safety, 61, 119-128 (2013).
- Mudgal, A., S. Hallmark, A. Carriquiry, K. Gkritza, Driving Behavior at a Roundabout: A Hierarchical Bayesian Regression Analysis, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 26: 20-26 (2014).
- Gkritza, K., R. Souleyrette, M. Baird, and B. Danielson, "An Empirical Bayes Approach for Estimating Urban Deer Vehicle Crashes Using Police and Maintenance Records," ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, 140 (2), 04013002 (2014).
- Gopalakrishnan, K., and K. Gkritza, "Forecasting Transportation Infrastructure Impacts of Renewable Energy Industry Using Neural Networks," Technological and Economic Development of Economy, 19(Supplement 1): S157-S175 (2014).
- Ibanez, E., V. Krishnan, S. Lavrenz, D. Mejia, K. Gkritza, J. McCalley, and A. Somani, "Resilience and Robustness in Long-term Planning of the National Energy and Transportation System," International Journal of Critical Infrastructures (in press).
- Li, W., K. Gkritza, C. Albrecht, "The Culture of Distracted Driving: Evidence from a Public Opinion Survey in Iowa," Transportation Research Part F 27: 337-347 (2014).
- Troutner, T.J., K. Gkritza, "Impacts of Extended Interstate Closures to Regional Freight Logistics: Case Study of 2011 Interstate 29 Closure," Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Volume 2410: 113-122 (2014).
- Shaheed, M., K. Gkritza. A Latent Class Analysis of Single-Vehicle Motorcycle Crash Severity Outcomes. Analytic Methods in Accident Research 2: 30-38 (2014).
- Cerwick, D., K. Gkritza, M. Shaheed, Z. Hans, "A Comparison of the Latent Class and Mixed Logit Methods by Crash Data," Analytic Methods in Accident Research 3-4: 11-27 (2014).
- Lavrenz, S.M., V. D. Pyrialakou, K. Gkritza, "Modeling Driver Behavior in Dilemma Zones: A Discrete/Continuous Formulation with Selectivity Bias Corrections," Analytic Methods in Accident Research 3-4: 44-55 (2014).
- Krishnan, V., E. Kastrouni, V. D. Pyrialakou, K. Gkritza, J.D. McCalley, "An Optimization Model of U.S. Energy and Transportation Systems: Assessing the Impact of High-Speed Rail on Passenger Transportation Investment," Transportation Research Part C, 54: 131-156 (2015).
- Shaheed, M., D. Marshall, K. Gkritza, "Simulated Drivers' Experience on Detecting Motorcycles during Daylight," Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board Volume 2520: 143-150 (2015).
- Kastrouni, E., K. Gkritza, S. Hallmark, W.R. Stephenson, "Fuel Tax Versus. Vehicle-Miles Traveled Fee: Identifying Vulnerable Households via a Three-Stage Least Squares Analysis," Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board Volume 2531: 161-169 (2015).
- Pyrialakou, V.D., K. Gkritza, Fricker, J. "Accessibility, Mobility, and Realized Travel Behavior: Assessing Rural Disadvantage from a Policy Perspective," Journal of Transport Geography, 51:251-169 (2016).
- Shaheed, M., K. Gkritza, A. Carriquiry, S.L. Hallmark, "Analysis of Occupant Injury Severity in Winter Weather Crashes: A Fully Bayesian Multivariate Approach," Analytic Methods in Accident Research 11: 33-47 (2016).
- Aldemir Bektas, B., K. Gkritza, O. Smadi, "Pavement Marking Retroreflectivity and Crash Frequency: Segmentation, Imputation and Line Type Effects" ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering (accepted), DOI:10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000863.