Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 4123 / BOWN 1025
Phone: (765) 496-3419
Personal Web Site
Ph.D., Lehigh University, 2001
M.S., University of Oklahoma, 1996
B.S., Indian Institute of Technology, 1994
Seismic and Fire Behavior, Analysis, and Design of Steel-concrete composite structures. Repair and retrofit of deterioration and damaged infrastructure.
Selected Research Projects
- July 2006-July 2009, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Realistic Fire Behavior and Stability of Steel Building Structures and Sub-system, Varma.
- May 2006-May 2007, Bechtel Power Corporation, Behavior and Design of Modular Steel Plated Composite Walls for Nuclear Facilities, Varma.
- January 2006 - April 2008, Evaluation and Verification of Bridge LRFD Design Software, Indiana Department of Transportation.
- January 2006 - April 2007, Synthesis Study: Heat Treatment of Steel and Applications for Rehabilitating Steel Bridges in Indiana, Indiana Department of Transportation.
- August 2005 - December 2005, Analysis of Modular Composite Sandwich Panel Walls for Nuclear Facilities, Bechtel Nuclear Power Corporation.
- January 2004 - July 2006, A Laboratory Evaluation of Alignment Tolerances For Dowel Bars and Their Effect on Joint Opening Behavior, Michigan Department of Transportation, Co-Principal.
Honors & Awards
Recipient of the 2003-2007 AISC Faculty Fellowship Award
- Kowalkowski, K.*, and Varma, A.H., (2006) "Structural Properties of Steels Subjected to Multiple Cycles of Damage Followed by Heating Repair," Journal of Structural Engineering, tentatively accepted for publication, ASCE.
- Prabhu, M., Varma, A.H.*, Buch, N., and Thandavesvara, D., (2006) "Experimental Evaluation of Dowel Misalignment on Joint Pullout Behavior," Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, recommended for publication, TRB, Washington, D.C.
- Kowalkowski, K., and Varma, A.H., (2005) "Experimental Investigations of the Effects of Multiple Damage-Heat Straightening Repair Cycles on the Structural Properties of Bridge Steels." Transportation Research Board, recommended for publication, TRB, Washington, D.C.
- Varma, A.H., Sause, R., Ricles, J.M., and Qinggang, L., (2005) "Development and Validation of Fiber Models for High Strength Square CFT Beam-Columns." ACI Structural Journal, American Concrete Institute, 102, 1, 73-85, Farmington Hills, MI.
- Varma, A.H., Ricles, J.M., Sause, R., and Ream, A., (2004) "Seismic Behavior and Design of High Strength Square Concrete Filled Steel Tube Beam-Columns," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 130, 2, 169-179.
- Varma, A.H., Ricles, J.M., Sause, R., and Lu, L.W., (2002). "Seismic Behavior and Modeling of High Strength Composite Concrete Filled Steel Tube Beam-Columns," Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Elsevier Applied Science, Volume 58, Issue 5-8, pp. 725-758.