Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 4141A
Phone: (765) 496-0157
Ph.D., University of Minnesota
M.S, Middle East Technical University
B.S., Middle East Technical University
Structural mechanics, finite element method, discontinuous Galerkin methods, plate and shell structures, structural stability, aboveground storage tanks, pressure vessels, piping
Selected Research Projects
- American Petroleum Institute (API), "API 12F Flat Bottom Tanks Failure Pressure Study," $24,000.00
- American Petroleum Institute (API), "API 12F Flat Bottom Tanks Failure Pressure Study, Phase 2: Fatigue and Fracture Evaluation," $26,000.00
- Purdue Research Foundation (PRF), PRF Research Grant, "Structural Stability of Cylindrical Storage Tanks," $29,000.00
- Undisclosed Sponsor, "Undisclosed research on aboveground storage tanks," $24,000.00
Licensed Professional Engineer in Minnesota
- Spritzer, J. M., and S. Guzey. 2017. "Review of API 650 Annex E: Design of large steel welded aboveground storage tanks excited by seismic loads." Thin-Walled Structures 112:41-65. doi: 10.1016/j.tws.2016.11.013.
- Rondon, A., and S. Guzey. 2017. "Fatigue evaluation of the API specification 12F shop welded flat bottom tanks." International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 149:14-23. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpvp.2016.11.003.
- Azzuni, E., and S. Guzey. 2017. "Stability of Open Top Cylindrical Steel Storage Tanks: Design of Top Wind Girder." ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology. 139(3), 031207 doi:10.1115/1.4035507.
- Rondon, A., and S. Guzey. 2016. "Determination of localized stresses in the shell above anchor bolt chairs attachments of anchored storage tanks." Thin-Walled Structures 98:617-626. doi: 10.1016/j.tws.2015.11.004.
- Azzuni, E., and S. Guzey. 2015. "Comparison of the shell design methods for cylindrical liquid storage tanks." Engineering Structures 101:621-630. doi: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.07.050.
- Guzey, S., B. Cockburn, and H. K. Stolarski. 2007. "The embedded discontinuous Galerkin method: Application to linear shell problems." International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 70 (7):757-790. doi: 10.1002/nme.1893.
- Guzey, S., H. K. Stolarski, B. Cockburn, and K. K. Tamma. 2006. "Design and development of a discontinuous Galerkin method for shells." Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 195 (25-28):3528-3548. doi: 10.1016/j.cma.2005.08.001.