Professor of Civil Engineering and Environmental and Ecological Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 3145C
Phone: (765) 494-8327
Ph.D., University of Michigan, 1993
M.S.E., University of Michigan, 1989
B.S.C.E., Michigan State University, 1987
B.A., Michigan State University, 1982
Aerobic and anaerobic biotransformation for organic pollutants, microbially-mediated reductive dehalogenation, in-situ bioremediation, molecular techniques for assessing bioremediation.
Selected Research Projects
- NSF, Biotransformation Potential of Commercial Model Fluorotelomers in Soils, 2006-2009.
- NASA, Minimizing Equivalent System Mass For A Regenerative Life-Support System By Optimizing Kinetics, 2005-2007.
- NSF, Response of Aquatic and Terrestrial Microorganisms to Carbon-Based Manufactured Nanoparticles, 2004-2008.
- EPA, Long-term Economical Treatment and Management of PCBs in Soils & Sediments: Laboratory Studies, 2003-2005.
- NSF, Molecular Genetic Characterization of Contaminated Environments as a Tool for the Assessment of Remediation Technology, 2003-2006.
- EPA, In Situ Sediment Remediation with Zero Valent Iron, 2002-2004.
CE 352 - Biological Principles of Environmental Engineering
CE 497E - Engineering Environmental Sustainability
CE 555/AGRY 582 - Microbial Degradation of Pollutants
CE 597D - Global Sustainable Engineering
Honors & Awards
Ross Judson Buck Outstanding Counselor in School of Civil Engineering, 2003.
Who's Who Among America's Teachers, 1998.
- Tong, Z., Bischoff, M., Nies, L.F., Applegate, B., and Turco, R.F. 2007. Impact of Fullerene (C60) on a soil microbial community, Environmental Science and Technolog (Accepted).
- Rochon, G.L., Nies, L.F., Jafvert, C.T., Stuart, J.A., Mohtar, R.H., Quansah, J., and Martin, A. 2006. Education in sustainable production in US universities, Clean Technol. Environ. Policy. 8:38-48.
- Ahn, M.-Y., Filley, T.R., Jafvert, C.T., Nies, L.F., Hua, I., and Bezares-Cruz, J. 2006. Photodegradation of Decabromodiphenyl Ether Adsorbed onto Clay Minerals, Metal oxides and Sediment. Environmental Science and Technology. 40:215-220.
- Nyman, M.C., Harden, J., Nies, L.F., and Blatchley III, E.R. 2004. Biodegradation of 3,3-Dichlorobenzidine in Freshwater Sediments. Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science. 3:89-95.
- Mesarch, M., Nakatsu, C.H., and Nies, L.F. 2004. Bench-Scale and Field-Scale Evaluation of Catechol 2,3-Dioxygenase Specific Primers for Monitoring Bioremediation. Water Research. 38:1281-1288.
- Baldwin, B.R., Nakatsu, C.H., and Nies, L.F. 2003. Detection and Enumeration of Aromatic Oxygenase Genes by Multiplex and Real-time PCR. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 69:3350-3358.