Vice Provost for Academic Facilities and Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HOVD 134
Phone: (765) 494-5904
Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin
M.S.E., University of Texas at Austin
B.S.E., Tulane University
Design and Behavior of Structural Concrete
Selected Research Projects
- Design and Construction of Bonded and Unbonded Post-Tensioned Concrete Bridge Elements
- Repair and Strengthening of Bridges Using Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Systems
- Development and Splice Lengths for High-Strength Reinforcement
- Relaxation of Large Diameter Corrosion Resistant Steel
- Development of a Cost-Effective Bridge Preservation and Rehabilitation Program
- Development and Implementation of a Concrete Box Beam Risk Assessment and Mitigation Program
- CE 473 Theory of Reinforced Concrete
- CE 498 Civil Engineering Design Project
- CE 572 Prestressed Concrete Design
- CE 576 Advanced Reinforced Concrete Design
- CE 697S Bridge Engineering
Honors & Awards
- ACI Fellow, American Concrete Institute
- ASCE Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Joe W. Kelly Award, 2020, American Concrete Institute
- Arthur J. Boase Award, 2014, Concrete Research Council
- Structural Concrete Building Code Distinguished Service Award, 2014, American Concrete Institute
- Whelchel, R.T., Williams, C.S., Frosch, R.J., "Live-Load Distribution of an Adjacent Box Beam Bridge: Influence of Bridge Deck," PCI Journal, Vol. 66, No. 6, November-December 2021.
- Whelchel, R.T., Molley, R.T., Williams, C.S., Frosch, R.J., Anderson, N.S., and Brew, J.E., "Relaxation of Carbon and Stainless-Steel Threaded Bars for Post-Tensioning Applications," ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol 147, Issue 7, July 2021.
- Sim, C. and Frosch, R.J., "Cracking Behavior of Slabs with Corrosion-Resistant and High-Strength Reinforcing Bars," ACI Structural Journal, V. 117, No. 5, September 2020.
- Pay, A.C., Canbay, E., and Frosch, R.J. "Bond Strength of Spliced Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Reinforcement," ACI Structural Journal, V. 111, No. 2, March-April 2014, pp. 257-266.
- Saqan, E.I. and Frosch, R.J., "Influence of Flexural Reinforcement on Shear Strength of Prestressed Beams without Web Reinforcement," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 106, No. 1, January-February 2009, pp. 60-68.
- Wolf, T.S. and Frosch, R.J., "Shear Design of Prestressed Concrete: A Unified Approach," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 133, No. 11, November 2007, pp. 1512-1519
- Canbay, E. and Frosch, R.J., "The Design of Lap-Spliced Bars: Is Simplification Possible?" ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 103, No. 3, May-June 2006, pp. 444-451.
- Tureyen, A.K. and Frosch, R.J., "Concrete Shear Strength: Another Perspective," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 100, No. 5, September-October 2003, pp. 609-615.
- Frosch, R.J., "Modeling and Control of Side Face Beam Cracking," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 99, No. 3, May-June 2002, pp. 376-385.
- Frosch, R.J., "Another Look at Cracking and Crack Control in Reinforced Concrete," ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 96, No. 3, May-June 1999, pp. 437-442.