Lyles Family Professor of Civil Engineering and Director of the Joint Transportation Research Program with Courtesy Appointments in Mechanical Engineering and Electrical and Computer Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: DLR 204A | HAMP 4107
Phone: (765) 494-2226
Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon University
M.S.C.E., Carnegie Mellon University
B.S.C.E., University of Vermont
Registered Professional Engineer in Indiana & Louisiana
Connected and Autonomous Vehicles, Intelligent Transportation Systems, Traffic Operations, Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), Airport Operations, Winter Roadway Maintenance, Crash Scene Forensics
Recent Media Coverage and National Webinars
- Webinar: "Big Data Applications for Managing U.S. Roadways," Wejo Inc, and Purdue University, October 28, 2020. https://youtu.be/vwpG13VxzAA?t=492
- Webinar: "Connected Vehicles Know More About Our Work Zones Than We Do," Work Zone Management Program, Federal Highway Administration, Ohio Presentation on November 19, 202, Indiana Presentation on December 9, 2020.
- Webinar: "Optimizing traffic signal performance to enhance safety and reduce infrastructure cost," Reuters, Wejo Inc., and Purdue University, December 8, 2020. https://youtu.be/3zZx6Uoj7Hw
- Case Study: "Purdue University traffic research program cuts data analysis and batching from hours to minutes with BigQuery," Google.com., December 14, 2020. https://cloud.google.com/customers/purduejtrp
Honors & Awards
- Transportation Research Board, Traffic Signal Systems Committee (AHB25), Best Paper Award, January 2018. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198118794042
- Transportation Research Board, Work Zone Traffic Control Committee (AHB55), Best Paper Award, January 2019.) https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198118758050
- Testimony to U.S. House Subcommittee on Research & Technology, Committee on Science, Space and Technology in Washington, D.C., on July 11, 2019. https://science.house.gov/imo/media/doc/Bullock Testimony.pdf
- Michael Kyte Distinguished Lecture, University of Idaho, September 31, 2019.
- 2019 W.K. Kellogg Foundation Community Engagement Scholarship Award. https://engineering.purdue.edu/CE/AboutUs/News/Transportation_Features/jtrp-selected-as-regional-winner-of-the-2019-wk-kellogg-foundation-community-engagement-scholarship-award
- Transportation Research Board, Traffic Signal Systems Committee (AHB25), Best Paper Award, January 2020. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198120914606
- Journal of Transportation Engineering Part A: Systems, Editor's Choice Selection. August 2020 (see Journal Publication #168) https://doi.org/10.1061/JTEPBS.0000370
- Transportation Research Board, Traffic Signal Systems Committee (AHB25), Best Paper Award, January 2021 (in press).
- Mathew, J.K., J.C. Desai, R.S. Sakhare, W. Kim, H. Li, and D.M. Bullock, "Big Data Applications for Managing Roadways," ITE Journal, Institute of Transportation Engineers, February 2021. https://www.nxtbook.com/ygsreprints/ITE/ite-journal-february-2021/index.php#/p/28
- Lin,Y.C., D.M. Bullock, and A. Habib, "Mobile LiDAR Mapping of Roadside Ditches for Drainage Analysis," Submitted to Transportation Research Board, August 1, 2020, Paper No. TRBAM-21-01-03782, recommended for publication.
- Saldivar-Carranza E., H. Li, J. Mathew, M. Hunter, J. Sturdevant, D.M. Bullock, "Deriving Operational Traffic Signal Performance Measures from Vehicle Trajectory Data," Submitted to Transportation Research Board, August 1, 2020, Paper No. TRBAM-21-01472, in press, (Received TRB AHB25 Committee Best Paper Award).
- Desai, J., H. Li, J.K. Mathew, Y. Cheng, A. Habib, and D.M. Bullock, "Correlating Hard-Braking Activity with Crash Occurrences on Interstate Construction Projects in Indiana." Journal of Big Data Analytics in Transportation, October 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42421-020-00024-x
- Lin, D. Bullock, and A. Habib, "Mapping Roadway Drainage Ditches Using Mobile LiDAR." The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Volume XLIII-B1-2020, August 2020. https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLIII-B1-2020-187-2020
- Li, H., J.C. Wolf, J. K. Mathew, N. Navali, S. D. Zehr, B. L. Hardin and D. M. Bullock, "Leveraging Connected Vehicles to Provide Enhanced Roadway Condition Information." ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part A: Systems. August 2020. Editor's Choice Selection. https://doi.org/10.1061/JTEPBS.0000370
- Mathew, J., Liu, M., Li, H., Seeder, S., and Bullock, D. (2019). "Analysis of E-Scooter Trips and Their Temporal Usage Patterns." Institute of Transportation Engineers Journal, 89(6), 44-49. Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/2251991862?accountid=13360
- Li, H., T. Platte, J.K. Mathew, W. B. Smith, E. Saldivar-Carranza, and D. M. Bullock, "Using Connected Vehicle Data to Reassess Dilemma Zone Performance of Heavy Vehicles," Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2674, Transportation Record of the National Academies, pp. 305-314, 2020 (Received TRB AHB25 Committee Best Paper Award). https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198120914606
- Mott, J.H., Z. A. Marshall, M.A. Vandehey, M. May, and D. M. Bullock, "Detection of Conflicts between ADS-B Equipped Aircraft and Unmanned Aerial Systems," Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2674, Transportation Record of the National Academies, pp. 197-204, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198119900645
- Bullock, John L., R. Hainje, A. Habib, D. Horton, and D.M. Bullock, "Public Safety Implementation of Unmanned Aerial Systems for Photogrammetric Mapping of Crash Scenes," Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2673, Transportation Record of the National Academies, pp 567-574, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198119850804
- Mekker, Michelle M., Y. Lin, M. K. I. Elbahnasawy, T. S. A. Shamseldin, H. Li, A. F. Habib, and D.M. Bullock, "Applications of LiDAR and Connected Vehicle Data to Evaluate the Impact of Work Zone Geometry on Freeway Traffic Operations," Transportation Research Record: Journal of Transportation Research Board, May, 2018. (Received TRB Work Zone Traffic Control Committee 2018 Best Paper Award). https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198118758050
- Krohn, Drake W., and D.M. Bullock, "Time-Lapse Photography of Runway Reconstruction for Education and Training," Transportation Research Record: Journal of Transportation Research Board, No. 2603, Transportation Research Record of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., pp 39-49 . 2017. https://doi.org/10.3141/2603-05
Books and Monographs