Professor Emeritus of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Ph.D., The Ohio State University, 1978
M.S.G.E. (Geodetic Engineering), Delft University of Technology, 1972
Geodesy, satellite geodesy, GPS surveying, data adjustment, deformation analysis, and Indiana State Geodetic Advisor (1995-present).
Selected Research Projects
- INDOT/JTRP, "3D As-Built Data for Utilities", 2007
- INDOT/JTRP,"Corridor Mapping using Lidar Technology", 2003-2006
- INDOT,JTRP,"Emergency Earthquake Routes", 2001-2004
- NIMA/DOD,"Motion Imagery Modeling Study", 2001-2002
- INDOT/JTRP,"Modern Technologies for Design Data Collection", 2001-2003
- INDOT/JTRP,"Improving Efficiency of INDOT Traffic Data Collection Using GPS Devices", 1999-2001
Honors & Awards
Nominee for the Murphy Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award 1999. Purdue University.
Nominee for the Purdue Teaching for Tomorrow Award 1998. Purdue University.
Nominee for the A.A. Potter Best Teacher Award 1998. School of Engineering. Purdue University.
Recipient of the School of Civil Engineering's Harold Munson Teaching Award presented to the outstanding teacher in the School of Civil Engineering, selected by its student body.
Executive Merit Award for "... his vision of the future, dedication to the advancement of surveying, coordination of the Indiana HARN, national representation and continual support of the Surveyors of the State of Indiana...". Presented by the President of the Indiana Society of Professional Land Surveyors, Perry D. Cloyd, January 15, 1998.
Member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. 1990-present
- Han, J.Y., and B.H.W. van Gelder (2007), "On Covariance Propagation of Eigenparameters of symmetric n-D Tensors", reviewed and accepted for publication in Geophysical Journal International (2007).
- Han, J.Y., and B.H.W. van Gelder (2006), "Step-wise Parameter Estimations in a Time-Variant Similarity Transformation", publication in ASCE Journal of Surveying Engineering - ASCE, 132 (4), 141-148, November.
- van Gelder, B.H.W. and T. Soler (2006). "Erratum for `On Covariance of Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors of Second-Rank Symmetric Tensors", by T. Soler and B.H.W. van Gelder, Geophysical Journal International (1991) 105, 537-546, Geophysical Journal International, 165 (1), 382-383.
- Van Gelder, B. H. and T. Soler (2005), Discussion of "Effects of Errors in Coordinates on Transformation Parameters" by Hakan, S. Kutoglu, Cetin Mekik, and Hakan Akcin". Journal of Surveying Engineering - ASCE, 131 (4), 143-143, November
- Li, K. Zhu, B. H. Van Gelder B.H.W, J. Nagle, C. Tuttle (2003), "Reconsideration of Sample Size Requirements for Field Traffic Data Collection with GPS Devices," Transportation Data and Technology Research Transportation Research Record, (1804) 17-22, 2002
- Van Gelder, B. H. (1998). "Introduction to Geodesy: The History and Concepts of Modern Geodesy", by James R. Smith. Book Review in ACSM Surveying and Land Information Systems, 259-260.