Professor of Civil Engineering and Agricultural and Biological Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP G167B
Phone: (765) 494-4597
Ph.D., Purdue, 2006
M.S.C.E., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2003
Diploma in C.E., National Technical University of Athens, Greece, 2001
Transportation planning, economics and modeling; transportation energy and sustainability; highway safety; transportation electrification
Selected Research Projects
- Feasibility Study and Design of On-Road Electric Vehicle Charging Technologies, INDOT/JTRP, 2018-2020
- Public Acceptance and Socio-Economic Analysis of Shared Autonomous Vehicles: Implications for Policy and Planning, USDOT/CCAT, 2018-2019
- Feasibility Analysis of Electric Roadways Through Localized Traffic, Cost, Adoption and Environmental Impact Modeling, US DOE ARPA-E, 2017-2019
- AVs’ Impacts on Energy Demand and GHG Emissions, USDOT/CCAT, 2017-2019
- Evaluating opportunities to enhance the Hoosier State Train ridership through a survey of riders' opinions and an assessment of access to the line, INDOT/JTRP, 2016-2018
- Economic Benefits of Corridor Improvements, INDOT/JTRP, 2014-2017
- Synthesis Study: Best Practices for Maximizing Driver Attention to Work Zone Warning Signs (End of Queue Warning Devices), INDOT/JTRP, 2014-2016
- Heated Airport Pavements-Task 1A Energy and Financial Viability, FAA, 2013-2016
- 21st Century National Energy and Transportation Infrastructures for Balancing Environmental Impacts, Costs, and Resiliency (NETSCORE-21), National Science Foundation EFRI-RESIN, 2008-2013
CE 361 - Introduction to Transportation Engineering
CE 561 - Transportation Systems Evaluation
CE 614 - Statistical And Econometric Methods I
Honors & Awards
2018 - Purdue Policy Research Institute Fellow, 2018-2019
2017 - College of Engineering Faculty of Excellence Award in Leadership, Purdue University
2017 - Greek Diaspora Fellow, Institute of International Education, Stavros Niarchos Foundation, and Fulbright Foundation in Greece
2017 - Best Reviewer Award, International Journal of Transportation Science and Technology
2016 - Outstanding Engineering Graduate Student Mentor, Lyles School of Civil Engineering
2016 - Jane F. Garvey/UMass ITE Transportation Leadership Award
2014 - National Academy of Engineering Frontiers of Engineering Education Symposium Attendee
2013 - Early Career Engineering Faculty Research Award, College of Engineering, Iowa State University
2012 - Engineering Student Council Outstanding Club Advisor Award, College of Engineering, Iowa State University
2011 - Schafer Award for Excellence in Teaching, Research, and Service, Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University
2008 - American Society of Civil Engineers ExCEEd Fellow
2007 - C.V. Wootan Memorial Award for Outstanding PhD Dissertation in Policy and Planning, Council of University Transportation Centers
- Rentziou, A., Gkritza, K., and Souleyrette, R., "VMT, Energy Consumption, and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Forecasting for Passenger Transportation," Transportation Research Part A, 46(3), 487-500 (2012).
- Lavrenz, S., and Gkritza, K., "Environmental and Energy Impacts of Automated Electric Highway Systems," Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, 17 (2), 221-232 (2013).
- Shaheed, M., Zhang, W., Gkritza, K., and Hans, Z., "A Mixed Logit Analysis of Two-Vehicle Crash Severities Involving a Motorcycle," Accident Analysis and Prevention, Special Issue on Emerging Research Methods and their Application to Road Safety, 61, 119-128 (2013).
- Mudgal, A., Hallmark, S., Carriquiry, A., Gkritza, K., "Driving Behavior at a Roundabout: A Hierarchical Bayesian Regression Analysis, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment", 26: 20-26 (2014).
- Gkritza, K., Souleyrette, R., Baird, M., and Danielson, B., "An Empirical Bayes Approach for Estimating Urban Deer Vehicle Crashes Using Police and Maintenance Records," ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, 140 (2), 04013002 (2014).
- Gopalakrishnan, K., and Gkritza, K., "Forecasting Transportation Infrastructure Impacts of Renewable Energy Industry Using Neural Networks," Technological and Economic Development of Economy, 19(Supplement 1): S157-S175 (2014).
- Ibanez, E., Krishnan, V., Lavrenz, S., Mejia, D., Gkritza, K., McCalley, J., and Somani, A., "Resilience and Robustness in Long-term Planning of the National Energy and Transportation System," International Journal of Critical Infrastructures (in press).
- Li, W., Gkritza, K., Albrecht, C., "The Culture of Distracted Driving: Evidence from a Public Opinion Survey in Iowa," Transportation Research Part F 27: 337-347 (2014).
- Troutner, T.J., Gkritza, K., "Impacts of Extended Interstate Closures to Regional Freight Logistics: Case Study of 2011 Interstate 29 Closure," Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Volume 2410: 113-122 (2014).
- Shaheed, M., Gkritza, K., "A Latent Class Analysis of Single-Vehicle Motorcycle Crash Severity Outcomes. Analytic Methods in Accident Research," 2: 30-38 (2014).
- Cerwick, D., Gkritza, K., Shaheed, M., Hans, Z., "A Comparison of the Latent Class and Mixed Logit Methods by Crash Data," Analytic Methods in Accident Research 3-4: 11-27 (2014).
- Lavrenz, S.M., Pyrialakou, V.D., Gkritza, K., "Modeling Driver Behavior in Dilemma Zones: A Discrete/Continuous Formulation with Selectivity Bias Corrections," Analytic Methods in Accident Research 3-4: 44-55 (2014).
- Krishnan, V., Kastrouni, E., Pyrialakou, V.D., Gkritza, K., McCalley, J.D., "An Optimization Model of U.S. Energy and Transportation Systems: Assessing the Impact of High-Speed Rail on Passenger Transportation Investment," Transportation Research Part C, 54: 131-156 (2015).
- Shaheed, M., Marshall, D., Gkritza, K., "Simulated Drivers' Experience on Detecting Motorcycles during Daylight," Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board Volume 2520: 143-150 (2015).
- Kastrouni, E., Gkritza, K., Hallmark, S.L., Stephenson, W.R., "Fuel Tax Versus. Vehicle-Miles Traveled Fee: Identifying Vulnerable Households via a Three-Stage Least Squares Analysis," Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board Volume 2531: 161-169 (2015).
- Pyrialakou, V.D., Gkritza, K., Fricker, J., "Accessibility, Mobility, and Realized Travel Behavior: Assessing Rural Disadvantage from a Policy Perspective," Journal of Transport Geography, 51:251-169 (2016).
- Shaheed, M., Gkritza, K., Carriquiry, A., Hallmark, S.L., "Analysis of Occupant Injury Severity in Winter Weather Crashes: A Fully Bayesian Multivariate Approach," Analytic Methods in Accident Research 11: 33-47 (2016).
- Bektas, B.A., Gkritza, K., Smadi, O., "Pavement Marking Retroreflectivity and Crash Frequency: Segmentation, Imputation and Line Type Effects" ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering (accepted), DOI:10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000863.
- Shaheed, M., K. Gkritza, A. Carriquiry, and S.L. Hallmark, "Analysis of Occupant Injury Severity in Winter Weather Crashes: A Fully Bayesian Multivariate Approach," Analytic Methods in Accident Research, 11, 33-47 (2016).
- Pyrialakou, V.D., Heidi A. Diefes-Dux, and K. Gkritza, "Exploring the Use of the TRB Research Needs Statement Database in an Introductory Transportation Course", Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Volume 2614, 10-17 (2017).
- Chacon-Hurtado, D., E. Bardaka, R. Yang, K. Gkritza, and J. Fricker, "Tools for the Wider Economic Impact Assessment of Corridor Improvements: Lesson Learned from the FHWA Implementation Assistance Program in Indiana," ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering Part A: Systems, 143(5): 05017001, (2017).
- Saeed, T.U., Y. Qiao, S. Chen, K. Gkritza, and S. Labi, "Methodology for Probabilistic Modeling of Bridge Component Condition: Accounting for Improvement Action Effectiveness and Incorporating Random Effects", ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 23(4), (2017).
- Chacon-Hurtado, D., V.D. Pyrialakou, and K. Gkritza, "Investigating the Spatial Distribution of Manufacturing Employment: An Indiana Case Study", Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Volume 2606, 122-129 (2017).
- Lavrenz, S., E. Vlahogianni, K. Gkritza, and Y. Ke "Time Series Modeling in Traffic Safety Research," Accident Analysis and Prevention, 117: 368-380 (2018).
- Chacon-Hurtado, D., K. Gkritza, J. Fricker, and D. Yu, "Exploring the Role of Worker Income and Workplace Characteristics on the Journey to Work," International Journal of Sustainable Transportation International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, DOI: 10.1080/15568318.2018.1490466 (2018).
- Ke, Y., and K. Gkritza, "Safety Ramifications of a Change in Pedestrian Crosswalk Law: A Case Study of Oregon, USA," International Journal of Transportation Science and Technology https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijtst.2018.07.004 (2018).
- Ke, Y., and K. Gkritza, "Income and Spatial Distributional Effects of a Congestion Tax", Transport Policy, 71, 28-35 (2018).
- Losada Rojas, L.L, C. Gkartzonikas, V.D. Pyrialakou, and K. Gkritza, "Exploring Intercity Passengers' Attitudes and Loyalty to Intercity Passenger Rail: Evidence From An On-Board Survey," Transport Policy 73: 71-83 (2019).