Dernlan Family Head of Construction Engineering and Management and Professor and Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 1223
Phone: (765) 494-0641
personal web site
Ph.D., Purdue University, 1994
M.S., University of Cincinnati, 1991
B.E., Nagpur University, India, 1987
Decision support systems and construction process improvement, risk assessment and strategic planning infrastructure management, international construction project cost control, construction operations analysis, simulation life cycle assessment of composite materials in construction.
Selected Research Projects
- NSF/US-India Joint Workshop on Urban Housing and Supporting Infrastructure, August 2005-July 2006, Co-PI
- CII/Cost Schedule Tradeoff, March 2004-December 2006.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Manufactured Housing Production Process Planning and Facility Design, September 2002-August 2005.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Housing Research Agenda Workshop, August 2003-July 2004, Co-PI.
- CII/Achieving Radical Reduction in Project Cycle Time, March 2002-December 2004.
- JTRP/Constructibility, Maintainability, and Operability of FRP Bridge Deck Panels, November 2002-October 2004, Co-PI:D.W. Halpin
CE 220 - Construction Management
CE 221 - Construction Plans and Estimates
CE 522 Computer Applications in Construction
CE 597F Risk Management in Construction
Honors & Awards
Who's Who in Engineering Education (WWEE), 2002 edition.
Academic Achievement Award given by Construction Management Association of American (CMAA) NY/NJ section for Exec 21 program established at Polytechnic University in conjunction with Eugene Fasullo and Ilan Juran, Polytechnic University (1997).
- Sukumaran, P., Hong, T., Bayraktar, M.E., and Hastak, M. (2006). "Validation of a Model for Predicting Schedule Changes in Highway Work Zones-Case Studies." Paper accepted for publication in the ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering.
- Sukumaran, P., Bayraktar, M.E., Hong, T., and Hastak, M. (2006). "Model for Analysis of Factors Effecting Construction Schedule in Highway Work Zones." Paper accepted for publication in the ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering.
- Banerjee, D.,* Syal, M., and Hastak, M. (2006). "Material Flow Based Facility Layout Analysis of Manufactured Housing Production Plant." Paper accepted for publication in the ASCE Journal of Architectural Engineering.
- Jeong, J., Hastak, M., and Syal, M. (2006). "Supply Chain Analysis and Modeling for the Manufactured Housing Industry." Paper accepted for publication in the March 2006 issue of the ASCE Journal of Urban Planning and Development.
- Bayraktar, M.E., Cui, Q., Hastak, M., and Minkarah, I. (2006). "An Evaluation of Warranty Contracting in United States." Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering. Vol. 33, No.1 January 2006, pp1-9
- Mehrotra, N., Syal, M., and Hastak, M. (2005). "Manufactured Housing Production Layout Design." Paper scheduled for publication in the March 2005 issue of the ASCE Journal of Architectural Engineering.