Professor and Associate Head of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 4117 / BOWN 1022
Phone: (765) 496-8270
personal web site
PhD, California Institute of Technology, 2000
MSCE, California Institute of Technology, 1994
BSCE, Middle East Technical University, 1993
Earthquake and blast engineering, performance-based structural engineering frameworks, modal testing and analysis, structural health-monitoring, large-scale structural analysis and simulation, and engineering seismology.
Selected Research Projects
- Middle East Technical University, Seismic Vulnerability Assessment of Select Historic Masonry Buildings in Fatih District of Istanbul, Turkey, Five Months (2010), Irfanoglu.
- National Science Foundation, Collaborative Research: the Learning Bridge, 2009-2011, Irfanoglu,
- National Science Foundation/NEES Operations, 2010-2014, Irfangolu w/ Ramirez, Fossum, Eigenmann, Hacker, Bahchi and Brophy.
- U.S. Department of State & WJE Assoc., Inc., A Study on the Seismic Risk of Four Buildings in Istanbul, Turkey, One month 2009, Irfanoglu.
- U.S. Department of State & WJE Assoc., Inc., A Study on the Seismic Risk of Two Buildings in Istanbul, Turkey, Two months 2009, Irfanoglu.
CE 371 Structural Analysis I
CE 474 Structural Analysis II
CE 498 Civil Engineering Design Project
CE 573 Structural Dynamics
CE 597M Geologic and Engineering Seismology
CE 691S Civil Engineering Seminars - Structural
Honors & Awards
American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) IDEAS2 Presidential Award of Excellence, 2008.
California Institute of Technology Graduate Student Council, Teaching Assistant Award: nominated by the students of the Engineering Mathematics course, academic year 1997-98.
Harold Hellwig Fellowship in Structural Engineering (1993-94).
Recognition for Academic Excellence (summa cum laude and top rank), Department of Civil Engineering, Middle East Technical University, 1993.
Recognition for Academic Excellence, Turkish Chamber of Civil Engineers, 1993.
- Irfanoglu, A., "Using Numerical Simulations and Engineering Reasoning under Uncertainty: Studying the Collapse of WTC-1", Computer-aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, accepted for publication, 2010.
- Luna, B.N., and Irfanoglu, A., "Estimating Base Shear versus Roof Drift Curves using Earthquake-Response Data", Earthquake Spectra, accepted for publication, 2010.
- Korkmaz, K.A., Irfanoglu, A., and Kayhan, A.H., "Seismic Risk Assessment of Buildings in Izmir, Turkey," Natural Hazards, September 2009 (online), 2010 (print).
- Miamis, K., Irfanoglu, A., and Sozen, M.A., "Dominant Factor in the Collapse of WTC-1", Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, v.23(4):203-208, 2009.
- Irfanoglu, A., "Performance of Template School Buildings during Earthquakes in Turkey and Peru", Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, v.23(1):5-14, 2009
- Irfanoglu, A., and Hoffmann, C.M., "An Engineering Perspective of the Collapse of WTC-I", Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities. v.22(1):62-67, 2008.
- Griffiths, J.H.P., Irfanoglu, A., and Pujol, S., "Istanbul at the Threshold: An Evaluation of the Seismic Risk in Istanbul", Earthquake Spectra, v.23 (1): 63-75, 2007.
- Beck, J.L., Chan, E., Irfanoglu, A., and Papadimitriou, C., "Multi-criteria Optimal Structural Design under Uncertainty", Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 28:741-761, 1999.