Laurent Itti’s research interests range from computational neuroscience to machine vision and robotics. He is probably best known for his work on modeling visual attention (e.g., over 8,480 citations in Google Scholar for Itti et al., 1998). Itti was lead PI on a very successful all-academic team of eight universities in the DARPA Neovision2 program. Itti is the Vision Thrust Lead on a current $10M NSF Expeditions in Computing grant. Itti will directly supervise the four students working in his lab for this project, and will assist with project development, data collection and neuromorphic model development.
- A. Borji, D. N. Sihite, L. Itti, What/Where to Look Next? Modeling Top-down Visual Attention in Complex Interactive Environments, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part A - Systems and Humans, Vol. 44, No. 5, pp. 523-538, May 2014.
- A. Borji, L. Itti, State-of-the-art in Visual Attention Modeling, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 185-207, Jan 2013.
- V. Navalpakkam, L. Itti, Search goal tunes visual features optimally, Neuron, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 605- 617, Feb 2007.
- V. Navalpakkam, L. Itti, Modeling the influence of task on attention, Vision Research, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 205-231, Jan 2005.
- L. Itti, C. Koch, E. Niebur, A Model of Saliency-Based Visual Attention for Rapid Scene Analysis, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 20, No. 11, pp. 1254- 1259, Nov 1998.
- F. Baluch, L. Itti, Mechanisms of Top-Down Attention, Trends in Neuroscience, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 210-224, Mar 2011
- L. Itti, P. F. Baldi, Bayesian Surprise Attracts Human Attention, In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, Vol. 19 (NIPS*2005), pp. 547-554, Cambridge, MA:MIT Press, 2006.
- C. Siagian, L. Itti, Rapid Biologically-Inspired Scene Classification Using Features Shared with Visual Attention, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 300-312, Feb 2007.
- L. Itti, C. Koch, Computational Modeling of Visual Attention, Nature Reviews Neuroscience, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 194-203, Mar 2001.
- L. Itti, C. Koch, A saliency-based search mechanism for overt and covert shifts of visual attention, Vision Research, Vol. 40, No. 10-12, pp. 1489-1506, May 2000.