Frequently Asked Questions

Can students in the BME portion of the MD-PhD program perform rotations with different PIs?

Yes. During the first two summers that students are part of the MD-PhD program, they can choose to rotate in multiple labs with faculty who have appointments in the Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering whose labs are at the West Lafayette or Indianapolis campuses.

Are students able to remain engaged with the School of Medicine while pursuing the PhD in BME at Purdue?

Yes. There are numerous events throughout the year in which students participate (e.g. summer & winter research retreats, monthly dinners with invited speakers, poster sessions, and social events) to remain connected with their peers in the MD-PhD program and the School of Medicine.

What is the MD-PhD application procedure if I have an interest in BME?

Admission to both Indiana University School of Medicine and the Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering is required. This process may be initiated by choosing the appropriate box on the AMCAS application for the MD-PhD Program. After the AMCAS application review, the Combined Degree Admissions Committee will extend invitations for interviews to qualified candidates who will then have the opportunity to indicate BME on the Research Area/s of Interest form. Applicants should wait to submit the Purdue University Graduate School application until notified to do so.

Additional information and instructions for applying to the MD-PhD program are found on the following website:

Once I am notified to do so, what is the procedure for applying to BME at Purdue?

A list of requirements and a link to the Purdue University Graduate School application is found on the BME website at

As a MD-PhD applicant, you do not have to resubmit letters of recommendation for the Purdue application as the BME graduate office will receive a copy of the AMCAS application with those letters of recommendation. For the Purdue online application, applicants will still need to enter the names of the recommenders, but mark them as off-line.

Official transcripts from all universities attended should be mailed to:

Biomedical Engineering Graduate Office
Purdue University
206 S. Martin Jischke Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2032

Will Purdue accept electronic copies of transcripts?

Only electronic transcripts from accredited U.S. institutions will be accepted, and they must be sent directly to the Purdue University Graduate School. The Purdue Graduate School has established an account for receiving official transcripts through All electronic transcripts from this service must be sent to the Graduate Admissions Manager at Electronic transcripts must first be verified by the Purdue Graduate School and then will be printed and forwarded to the appropriate program.

The Purdue University Graduate School will also accept electronic transcripts sent directly from accredited U.S. colleges or universities to Michelle Goodin, Graduate Admissions Manager at in order to verify the authenticity of the documents and then forward to the appropriate program.

Please note that electronic transcripts sent directly to the Weldon School cannot be accepted.

What is the Purdue University application fee and how do I pay it?

All domestic applicants must pay a $60 application fee by credit card at the time of submission of your online application. Once you are instructed to submit the Purdue University Graduate School application, mark your entry semester of interest as the upcoming summer. The Weldon School will reimburse you for the Purdue application fee and you will be contacted regarding the fee reimbursement process and documentation required.

May I contact faculty to ask about their research?

Yes. Please feel free to contact BME faculty members to discuss their current research projects. Be specific about your interests in their research and also about your background (skills and knowledge) and how you can contribute to their research group. This discussion will allow both you and the faculty member to assess if your research interests are well-aligned.

If I am accepted into the MD-PhD program and the Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, when will I begin my studies?

Students accepted into the MD-PhD program and the Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering will have a research experience at Purdue University during the summer before the first year of medical school begins in the fall. The BME Graduate Office will work with you to make the appropriate arrangements.