February 2013 ABe-Notes
Graduate Student Defenses - February 2013
Cibin Raj (PhD) "Optimal Land Use Planning on Selection and Placement of Energy Crops for Sustainable Biofuel Production." Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3 pm ABE 301 (Chaubey)
Michael Zeitchek (MS) "All Solid-State Ion-Selective Electrodes for Real-Time Measurement of Relevant Physiological Phenomena" Friday, February 1, 2013 9 am BIRCK 2001 (Porterfield)
Indiana Watershed Leadership Academy
The Indiana Watershed Leadership Academy (https://engineering.purdue.edu/watersheds/), led by Jane Frankenberger and Laura Esman, started its eighth year in January, with a two-day workshop at McCormick's Creek State Park. The 2013 Academy includes 31 participants working for federal, state and local agencies, non-profits, environmental consultants, lake councils, and some undergraduate and graduate students in environmental fields. The Academy combines face-to-face and distance education in a five-month-long hybrid program that includes three workshops, the completion of nine learning modules and a group project. Web meetings (using Adobe Connect) help the group stay connected between face-to-face sessions without costly travel (and keep us on our toes staying up-to-date with the new technology). There are now 198 alumni of the Academy, contributing to improved management of Indiana’s water resources.
Maha Fluid Laboratory News - February 2013
Maha members Mike Sprengel, Enrique Busquets, and Damiano Padovani travelled to South Carolina to discuss the new Harsco Rail Project.
The Maha Fluid Power Center Annual Report for 2012 is now complete and will be posted shortly on the website: https://engineering.purdue.edu/Maha/. Congratulations to the team on a productive, excellent year!
SURF Program Callout
Engineering undergraduate students interested in a unique, paid summer learning experience and the possibility of future graduate work are encouraged to come to the SURF Roundtable on Tuesday, February 19th from 11-3 in the PMU. Maha students will be present with several project options. See https://engineering.purdue.edu/Engr/Research/SURF to learn more! We are looking forward to working with you soon!
Publications - February 2013
- Joo, H.S., P.M. Ndegwa, A.J. Heber, J.Q. Ni, B.W. Bogan, J.C. Ramirez-Dorronsoro, and E.L. Cortus. 2013. Particulate matter emissions from naturally-ventilated freestall dairy barns. Atmospheric Environment 69:182-190.
- Schauberger, G., T.T. Lim, J.Q. Ni, D.S. Bundy, B.L. Haymore, C.A. Diehl, R.K. Duggirala, and A.J. Heber. 2013. Empirical model of odor emission from deep-pit swine finishing barns to derive a standardized odor emission factor. Atmospheric Environment 66:84-90.
- Bereznicki, S.D., A.J. Heber, N. Akdeniz, L.D. Jacobson, B.P. Hetchler, K.Y. Heathcote, S.J. Hoff, J.A. Koziel, L. Cai, S. Zhang, D.B. Parker, E.A. Caraway, T.T. Lim, E.L. Cortus, and R.B. Jacko. 2012. Odor and odorous chemical emissions from animal buildings: Part 1 – Project overview, collection methods, and quality control. Transactions of ASABE 55(6):2325-2334.
- Akdeniz, N., L.D. Jacobson, B.P. Hetchler, S.D. Bereznicki, A.J. Heber, E.L. Cortus, T.T. Lim, K.Y. Heathcote, S.J. Hoff, J.A. Koziel, L. Cai, S. Zhang, D.B. Parker, and E.A. Caraway. 2012. Odor and odorous chemical emissions from animal buildings: Part 2 – Odor emissions. Transactions of ASABE 55(6):2335-2345.
- Akdeniz, N., L.D. Jacobson, B.P. Hetchler, S.D. Bereznicki, A.J. Heber, J.A. Koziel, L. Cai, S. Zhang, and D.B. Parker. 2012. Odor and odorous chemical emissions from animal buildings: Part 4 – Correlations between sensory and chemical emissions. Transactions of ASABE 55(6):2347-2356.
- Parker, B.P., L. Cai, J.A. Koziel, L.D. Jacobson, N. Akdeniz, S.D. Bereznicki, T.T. Lim, E.A. Caraway, S. Zhang, S.J. Hoff, A.J. Heber, K.Y. Heathcote, and B.P. Hetchler. 2012. Odor and odorous chemical emissions from animal buildings: Part 6 – Odor activity value. Transactions of ASABE 55(6):2357-2368.
- Lee, S.H., C. Li, and A.J. Heber. 2012. The effect of nitrate on ethylene biofiltration. Journal of Hazardous Materials 241-242:331-339.
- Jin, Y., T.T. Lim, J.Q. Ni, J.H. Ha, and A.J. Heber. 2012. Emissions monitoring at a deep-pit swine finishing facility: Research methods and system performance. Journal of Air and Waste Management Association 62(11):1264-1276.
Send your thoughts on what you’d like to see in this e-newsletter to Purdue ABE at firstname.lastname@example.org.