This course is intended to allow undergraduates to engage in independent study and individual or small group research projects under the direction of the faculty. Projects may be initiated by students or by faculty. Interested students should follow the procedures listed here.
A limit of 6 credits can be applied toward major/minor degree requirements.
- The student must have a faculty sponsor. (Only an AAE faculty member can award credit for an AAE490 project).
- The student and sponsoring faculty member should discuss and agree on the intent and focus of the course and the individual expectations of both the student and faculty supervisor.
- Send Lisa Crain - email@example.com, the information listed below so that a Form 23VT form can be created. If the course title is already listed on myPurdue see Lisa for a Form 23.
- Student Name
- Purdue Id Number
- Number of credits
- 30 Character Title including spaces
- Instructor Name
- Lisa will email you when the form is ready for pick and signatures
Once the form is created you will need to get signatures from both you, the instructor and your academic advisor. The completed form is then taken to Hovde Room 68 for processing.
Note: When calculating the number of credits, the student should spend 3 hours per week per credit hour. For example, a student signed up for 2 credit hours for the 15 weeks of class would need to spend 6 hours per week (90 per semester).
- Student Name
Applying the 490 to your Plan of Study/MyPurduePlan
If you want the 490 to apply to your Plan of Study/MyPurduePlan, you will need to complete the AAE490 Course Description Form, get the required signatures and turn the form into your academic advisor by the 6th week of the semester you want the 490 to count in.
Note: If the project is "extra", in the sense that it is not going to apply toward the BS degree, a description is not essential.
If the 490 is a team project, the team will probably want to agree on a basic description. However, you may be using it for different purposes than others on your team, so you need to make it clear how the project is suitable for your purpose (eg, if you want it to be a Structures major elective, be sure that the structures component of the project is explained.)