Tom Shih2009 - Professor and Head of Aeronautics and Astronautics
DegreesB.S.E., National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan, ROC, Mechanical Engineering, 1976
M.S.E., The University of Michigan, Mechanical Engineering, 1977
Ph.D., The University of Michigan. Mechanical Engineering, 1981
Contact701 W. Stadium Ave.
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2045
Office Phone: +1 765 49-43006
Office Fax: +1 765 49-40307
InterestsMathematical modeling of fluid mechanics, heat transfer, aerodynamics, and combustion problems.
Awards and Major Appointments
- Ralph R. Teetor Award, Society of Automotive Engineers, Feb. 1986.
- Tau Beta Pi Teacher of the Year Award, College of Engineering, University of Florida, April 1988.
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1998.
- Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1998.
- Tau Beta Pi, Eminent Engineer, 2008.
- Distinguished Engineering Educator Award, Engineers' Council of San Fernando Valley, Sherman Oaks, California, 2010
- Acorn Award - Seed for Success, Purdue University, 2010
- Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), 2011
- Editorial Board/Editor, Acta Mechanica Sinica, since 2008
- Section Editor, Basic Concepts in Propulsion and Power, Encyclopedia of Aerospace Engineering, Wiley-Blackwell, since 2008
- Section Editor, Airbreathing Engines, Encyclopedia of Aerospace Engineering, Wiley-Blackwell, since 2008
- Editorial Board, Journal of Zhejiang University - Science A - an international Applied Physics and Engineering Journal, since 2008
- Associate Editor, Propulsion and Power Research, since 2012
- Exa Corporation (Corporate Advisor, since 2006)
- Symposium on Jet Propulsion and Power, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics and RWTH Aachen University (member of Scientific Committee, since 2006)
- People's Republic of China's 111 Program (cooperation partner for Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2008-2012)
- Michigan/AFRL/Boeing Collaborative Center in Aeronautical Sciences (member of Review Board, since 2008)
- Euro-American Conference on Telematics and Information Systems (member of Scientific Committee, since 2008)
- International Symposium on Aircraft Airworthiness, (member of Scientific Committee, since 2011)
- International Symposium on Fluid Machinery and Fluids Engineering (member of International Advisory Committee, 2011-2012)
- External Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (member of the board, 2011-14)
- Mathematical modeling of fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and combustion problems.
- Develop numerical methods and codes (grid generation and "Navier-Stokes" solver) that can be used to study complex steady and unsteady, multidimensional fluid flow problems that can be laminar or turbulent, reacting or nonreacting, single- or multi-phase. Current focus is on high-order compact schemes for reacting flows, verification and validation issues in CFD, and methods that provide á posteriori estimates of errors in CFD solutions.
- Computational study of problems in aerodynamics (airfoils and wings with ice accretion, shock-wave/boundary-layer interactions with bleed, and turbojet inlets); energy, power, and propulsion systems (gas turbine combustors, piston and rotary engines, automotive torque converters, thermoelectric power generators); cooling of gas-turbine hot section (blade-passage/endwall aerodynamics and heat transfer; internal and film cooling of turbine vanes, blades, and "edges"; conjugate heat transfer); two-phase flows (free-surface flows, objects impacting from gas into liquids, electrodeposition of colloidal particles; particle/particle and particle/fluid interactions in particle-laden flows, and atomization and sprays); materials processing (thermal spray forming, cold spray forming); and multifunction materials (thermal-fluid issues and energy harvesting).
PublicationsTchatchouang, C.W., Chi, X., Shih, T.I-P., Bryden, K.M., Ames, R., and Dennis, R.A., "Effects of Turbulence Modelling in Predicting Flow and Heat Transfer in a Duct with Pin Fins," AIAA Paper 2012-0527, Jan. 2012, Nashville.
Chi, X. and Shih, T.I-P., "Bulk Temperature, Heat-Transfer Coefficient, and Nusselt Number - Revisited," AIAA Paper 2012-0807, Jan. 2012, Nashville.
Shih, Tom I-P., Saiprashanth Gomatam Ramachandran, Ames, R., and Dennis, R.A., "CFD Conjugate Analysis of Transient Measurements of the Heat-Transfer Coefficient in a Duct with Pin Fins" AIAA Paper 2012-0812, Jan. 2012, Nashville.
Liu, J., Weaver, A., Lee, C.S., Shih, T.I-P., Klinger, J., Ames, R., and Dennis, R.A., "Flow and Heat Transfer in a Triple-Impingement Configuration for Trailing-Edge Cooling," ASME Paper GT-2012-70075, June 2012, Copenhagen, Denmark.
Lee, C.-S., Shih, T.I-P., Bryden, K.M., Ames, R., and Dennis, R.A., "Flow and Heat Transfer in a Jet-Impingement Configuration with No-Cross Flow about Jets," ASME Paper GT-2012-70080, June 2012, Copenhagen, Denmark.