AAE 49000 Special Projects
This course is intended to allow undergraduates to engage in independent study and individual or small group research projects under the direction of the faculty. Projects may be initiated by students or by faculty. Interested students should follow the procedures listed here.
- The student must have a faculty sponsor. (Only an AAE faculty member can award credit for an AAE49000 project).
- The student and sponsoring faculty member should discuss and agree on the intent and focus of the course and the individual expectations of both the student and faculty supervisor.
- Send Lisa Crain an email, firstname.lastname@example.org with the information below for the Form 23VT to be completed.
The following information is needed to complete the form.
- Purdue ID Number
- Student Classification
- AAE 49000
- Number of credits
- 30 Character Title - including spaces
- Signatures from both you and the instructor
Once Lisa has the form completed and you have all of the required, you will take it to Hovde Room 55 for registration.
Note: When calculating the number of credits, the student should spend 3 hours per week per credit hour. For example, a student signed up for 2 credit hours for the 15 weeks of class would need to spend 6 hours per week (90 per semester).
Applying the 49000 to your Plan of Study
Note: If the project is "extra", in the sense that it is not going to apply toward the BS degree, a description is not essential.
If the 49000 is a team project, the team will probably want to agree on a basic description. However, you may be using it for different purposes than others on your team, so you need to make it clear how the project is suitable for your purpose (eg, if you want it to be a Structures major elective, be sure that the structures component of the project is explained.)