Honorary Industry Professor Dr. Allen S. Novick BSAE'65; MSAE'67; PhD'72; DEA'06; OAE'06
This position is intended for a renowned Aerospace Industry individual to principally function in a support and guidance position for the School’s strategic and development activities.
Dr. Novick most recently served as Vice-President Marketing Intelligence & Support, Rolls Royce Corporation until his retirement in 2009. He joined the Allison Division of General Motors (now Rolls Royce) in 1972 after receiving his bachelor, master, and doctorate degrees in Aeronautical Engineering from Purdue University.
He progressed through many noteworthy challenging assignments and promotions including engineering research and technology, preliminary design, advanced engine development, program management, business development, commercial business, customer operations, supply chain management and marketing intelligence. Novick was also responsible for leading Allison Division into the commercial aircraft engine business. Also, he was leader and co-founder, with Professor John Sullivan, of the Indiana Advanced Aerospace Manufacturing Alliance.
Novick has been the recipient of many prestigious awards in his career. In 2006, Purdue University honored Novick with the Distinguished Engineering Alumni Award and the School of Aeronautics and Astronautics honored him with the Outstanding Aerospace Engineer Award.
He has also received many honors and awards from the aerospace industry which include:
- Collier Award - Part of team that won the prestigious Collier Trophy for the PropFan
- “Laurels” – Aviation Week and Space Technology, 1987 - for industry leadership in PropFan technology, culminating in Allison’s first Collier Award and subsequently involved in four Collier Award programs
- Air Breathing Propulsion Award – AIAA, 1999 - for his leadership in designing, developing and producing the AE Engine family, the world’s only turboshaft, turboprop, and turbofan engine utilizing a common core for civil and military applications
- Best Paper of the Year Award – ASME
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Nominated by Regional Airline World - 2004
- Philip J. Klass Award for Lifetime Achievement, Nominated by Aviation Week - 2007
- Indiana General Assembly House Resolution No. 18 for Service to the State and Outstanding Accomplishments - 2009
- “Distinguished Hoosier” Honored by Indiana Governor Daniels - 2009.
Dr. Novick’s professional service includes:
- Member of General Aviation Manufacturers Association Board of Governors and Chairman of the Association’s Technical Policy Committee
- Founding Member and Chairman, Associate Member Council of the Regional Airlines Association.
- Member of Advisory Boards of Indiana Defense Asset Program and Indiana Advanced Manufacturing Education Collaboration
- AIAA Associate Fellow
Dr Novick has authored numerous publications involving numerical analyses, unsteady flow, combustor design, gear system technology, advanced engines and recipient of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Best Paper of the Year Award.
The School of Aeronautics and Astronautics Head, faculty and staff look forward to working with Dr. Novick in matters relevant to an industry perspective regarding the future direction of the aeronautical and astronautical engineering profession, economic development and alumni development. Dr. Novick’s expertise and commitment to the aerospace industry will help further the Mission of the School of Aeronautics and Astronautics to new heights.